Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Transfer Case Fluid (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/transfer-case-fluid-40098/)

Spike555 04-19-2011 09:03 PM

Synthetic...pfffttt...NOT!!!
I will never use full synthetic ever again.
I buy the cheap dino lube and change it once a year as part of my spring maintenance program.

DiscoRover007 04-19-2011 09:52 PM

Spike why no synthetic?

And thanks for the replies everyone, it's all been really helpful.

DiscoRover007 04-20-2011 03:43 PM

Should I be concerned with the brand? I can get 85w-140 in Coastal and Traveller, Castrol, and Lucas, they didn't have it in Rotella or Royal Purple. Also if I don't go with synthetic does that just mean I have to change it out more often? They don't have many synthetic options at the store.

photocrimes 04-20-2011 04:05 PM

I used the GM lube with the pleasant grape scent, lol I kid you not. Says it right on the bottle. Have a friend who works at GM so although its not the super gooey stuff, it is free. Just smells like nasty gear oil with a wiff of grape. Lol

DiscoRover007 04-20-2011 07:10 PM

Ok well I just got some Castrol 85w-140. Hopefully that will serve me well? How often will I need to change it?

Spike555 04-20-2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007 (Post 240460)
Spike why no synthetic?

And thanks for the replies everyone, it's all been really helpful.

Because when you go off roading/wading and you get water in one of your diffs and you have to drain out $130 of gear lube you feel pretty stupid.

How often should you change full syn gear lube?
I say every 50,000 miles, but I'm sure a lab test would say you could go longer.
As for dino lube, I say every 30,000 miles, again a lab test would say longer.

I change mine once a year, every spring after I go wading, its cheap insurance and it also keeps me intune with my truck.
Thats a good time for a full inspection under the truck.

Snafu / Disco Fries 04-20-2011 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007 (Post 240599)
Ok well I just got some Castrol 85w-140. Hopefully that will serve me well? How often will I need to change it?

I'd stick with Syn as that is what is called for. As mentioned if you are going to have the truck under water for extended periods of time and have the chance of getting some water in (would like to see exactly where it would enter for my own knowledge though) and have to change it out, I guess the regular stuff is OK. If you don't plan many river crossings though, I'd still say syn.

DiscoRover007 04-21-2011 12:47 AM

Ah I see. Well the thing is that there is no option to order the royal purple 85-140 synthetic online, at least at autozone. Plus none of the stores around my home have it. Am I in danger of anything with regular Castrol 85W-140? The t-case is not something I want to play games with. Just nervous about it i guess.

Bundu 04-21-2011 07:11 AM

It does not matter if you use syn or dino, your transfer case does not know the difference. As long as the oil specs match what is required (GL-5 I think) then you are good. Don't over think it....

Snafu / Disco Fries 04-21-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bundu (Post 240666)
It does not matter if you use syn or dino, your transfer case does not know the difference. As long as the oil specs match what is required (GL-5 I think) then you are good. Don't over think it....

Now that is not fair! Over thinking things is *exactly* what this forum is about! :)