Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Leaking Excessively

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Leaking Excessively

Hi All,
Fairly new poster but have read through quite a few during my time owning my DII.
First I'll start with I really appreciate all you guys who work on these regularly and post your experiences. It's extremely helpful for people who haven't dealt with all the quirks of owning a Rover!
I've come across a problem and can't find where anyone else has had this problem (at least not documented).
I had my u-joints go out on my front shaft and destroy the tranny case. (It's ok to laugh now. I trusted a mechanic I took it to who said they had been replaced. Turns out, they must not have been. Lesson learned the hard way!)
I put in a used tranny which seems to be working fine. However, after putting everything together, the transfer case is leaking profusely. It had very minor leakage prior (not enough to even make a spot in the driveway)
It doesn't appear to be the bottom plate or the front seal. In fact, I'm having a hard time telling where it's actually coming from.
Could this be the result of the drive shaft breaking and ruining something internally? Or is it likely just needing resealing?
I don't mind taking it off and resealing. I just don't want to miss an internal problem and have it completely go out.
Thanks ahead of time.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brirobkey
Hi All,
Fairly new poster but have read through quite a few during my time owning my DII.
First I'll start with I really appreciate all you guys who work on these regularly and post your experiences. It's extremely helpful for people who haven't dealt with all the quirks of owning a Rover!
I've come across a problem and can't find where anyone else has had this problem (at least not documented).
I had my u-joints go out on my front shaft and destroy the tranny case. (It's ok to laugh now. I trusted a mechanic I took it to who said they had been replaced. Turns out, they must not have been. Lesson learned the hard way!)
I put in a used tranny which seems to be working fine. However, after putting everything together, the transfer case is leaking profusely. It had very minor leakage prior (not enough to even make a spot in the driveway)
It doesn't appear to be the bottom plate or the front seal. In fact, I'm having a hard time telling where it's actually coming from.
Could this be the result of the drive shaft breaking and ruining something internally? Or is it likely just needing resealing?
I don't mind taking it off and resealing. I just don't want to miss an internal problem and have it completely go out.
Thanks ahead of time.
Do you have pictures? Most of my rovers came with self cleaning oil systems

Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,271 Likes on 894 Posts

Did you replace the input shaft seal, between trans and transfer, when you installed new trans? This seal can get buggered up pretty easily, if you aren't careful during reassembly. Normally, you'll see fluid seeping between the two units.

It is possible the driveshaft yoke seal was damaged, just make a close inspection of the area after cleaning it up some.

Brian.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't replace the input shaft seal. When I first noticed it I was thinking that could be it but it doesn't seem to be coming from between the tranny and t case. Guess I'll try to clean it up and take it for a drive at slower speeds to see if I can keep it from blowing all over. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this happening after the driveshaft destroying the tranny.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

With the front shaft flailing around and slamming into the ground, frame trans etc I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the front output shaft bearings seals etc took damage and were leaking

Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Could there be some concern about a fire if so much of that transfer case fluid hits his catalytic converters?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Nah it's a land rover the cat's on these are made to be doused in oil

Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Nah it's a land rover the cat's on these are made to be doused in oil
True, but only a light dusting of transmission fluid!