Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Transfer Case removal with Pictures (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/transfer-case-removal-pictures-75584/)

R0VERGUY 09-13-2015 01:11 AM

Transfer Case removal with Pictures

Thread Deleted

OffroadFrance 09-13-2015 06:53 AM

Nice job and good improvisation.

Colorado David 09-15-2015 09:03 PM

Do you know where your leak was? I have the same issue. I fill my transfer case about every four or five months. I really don't want to have to do this. Mine is a 2001, has 157,000 miles and has leaked as long as I've had it. I bought it with just under 100,000 miles.

Andrew0 09-16-2015 06:21 AM

I have a leak too that I cannot find. I knew the service panel on the transfer case was leaking so I dismantled that and RTV resealed it while on the truck and that went great. But it is still leaking from somewhere above. Possible the inspection panel of the nipple as you pointed out. It seems like when I park it that it drips one or two drips and then that's it - as if it is leaking high up, above the fill line while running as if the oil is getting kicked up inside and finding a way out. And then when I park it, it is fine aside from that drip or two. It's annoying but I just don't have the will power to take the whole case out at the moment haha.

R0VERGUY 09-16-2015 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew0 (Post 535852)
I have a leak too that I cannot find. I knew the service panel on the transfer case was leaking so I dismantled that and RTV resealed it while on the truck and that went great. But it is still leaking from somewhere above. Possible the inspection panel of the nipple as you pointed out. It seems like when I park it that it drips one or two drips and then that's it - as if it is leaking high up, above the fill line while running as if the oil is getting kicked up inside and finding a way out. And then when I park it, it is fine aside from that drip or two. It's annoying but I just don't have the will power to take the whole case out at the moment haha.

That sounds exactly how mine was leaking. I'd park the truck and come out the next morning to find a few drops of gear oil under the t-case and a few drops of engine oil under the oil pan. After about a week I would have a good size little puddle on the ground and it made everything else under the truck a greasy mess. Neither leak was enough to warrant an immediate repair so I let them go and never really messed with them until last week.
I also felt like my leak was above the fill line as it seemed to leak less as the level dropped a little and it would leak more after refilling it. There are so many o-rings and different RTV spots on the T-Case, it's really hard to fix all the leaks while still in the truck. I really want to leave my roof rack on and park my truck in the concrete driveway instead of the garage and I need to stop the leaks before I do that. I think a lot of people have the same type of leaks and most don't really mind the Disco marking it's territory, but I've obviously run out of other things to do on my truck so I'm finally getting to the bottom of my To-Do list where all the crap jobs have been pushed aside for the last few years.

Andrew0 09-16-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY (Post 535871)
That sounds exactly how mine was leaking. I'd park the truck and come out the next morning to find a few drops of gear oil under the t-case and a few drops of engine oil under the oil pan. After about a week I would have a good size little puddle on the ground and it made everything else under the truck a greasy mess. Neither leak was enough to warrant an immediate repair so I let them go and never really messed with them until last week.
I also felt like my leak was above the fill line as it seemed to leak less as the level dropped a little and it would leak more after refilling it. There are so many o-rings and different RTV spots on the T-Case, it's really hard to fix all the leaks while still in the truck. I really want to leave my roof rack on and park my truck in the concrete driveway instead of the garage and I need to stop the leaks before I do that. I think a lot of people have the same type of leaks and most don't really mind the Disco making it's territory, but I've obviously run out of other things to do on my truck so I'm finally getting to the bottom of my To-Do list where all the crap jobs have been pushed aside for the last few years.

Yeah I'll probably put it on hold for now or at least until I find someone with a lift I could use. Nice write up though, I'm sure I'll be referring back to it eventually!

Colorado David 09-16-2015 09:36 AM

Maybe it's age or wacky ears or something, but laying under the vehicle makes me sick. Literally. I can do it for a short period of time, but any length of time and I'm dizzy and nauseated. There are a lot of things I would do myself if I had access to a lift. Jack Stands and the creeper just don't work for me anymore. Another Rover owner gave me the name of a guy who taught the autoshop program at an area high school. I visited with him for a while and he seemed amenable to let me use the lift at the school. When I called to schedule a time, I couldn't get him to return my call. I guess he decided he couldn't do it after all. I wish there was a place where a guy could rent shop space with a lift by the hour or something like that.

Andrew0 09-16-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado David (Post 535884)
Maybe it's age or wacky ears or something, but laying under the vehicle makes me sick. Literally. I can do it for a short period of time, but any length of time and I'm dizzy and nauseated. There are a lot of things I would do myself if I had access to a lift. Jack Stands and the creeper just don't work for me anymore. Another Rover owner gave me the name of a guy who taught the autoshop program at an area high school. I visited with him for a while and he seemed amenable to let me use the lift at the school. When I called to schedule a time, I couldn't get him to return my call. I guess he decided he couldn't do it after all. I wish there was a place where a guy could rent shop space with a lift by the hour or something like that.

Yeah I'll probably ask around some local shops or so companies/places that happen to have their own garage to service their own vehicles and see if I can persuade them to let me use it. It definitely makes life easier.

OffroadFrance 09-17-2015 06:23 AM

An excellent write up with photos, I would definitely nominate this for a ' How to ' Sticky for others to follow.

drowssap 09-17-2015 07:44 AM

x2 on making it a sticky