Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case/transmission/prop shaft issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool transfer case/transmission/prop shaft issue

Wife's Disco. Front driveshaft failure. Knocked hole in tranny. Good Times! Removed shaft. Transfer case and tranny in neatral to get it home. Pulled trans. pan to inspect. No visable damage other than cracked case. Dropped valve body and disconnected wires. Put pan back and towed to a welder that specializes in aluminum. Did an amazing job. Got it home, re-installed valve body, pan, fluid, new prop shaft. Put 4 quarts DexIII back in. No leaks! Now put transfer case in H and tranny in N. Then park, rev., drive. Car acts like it wants to go forward in all gears except park. Slips. No reverse. No service lights. I'm thinking front differential or trasfer case or transmission itself. Did I miss something or did more damage occur than I thought?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nopicknj
Wife's Disco. Front driveshaft failure. Knocked hole in tranny. Good Times! Removed shaft. Transfer case and tranny in neatral to get it home. Pulled trans. pan to inspect. No visable damage other than cracked case. Dropped valve body and disconnected wires. Put pan back and towed to a welder that specializes in aluminum. Did an amazing job. Got it home, re-installed valve body, pan, fluid, new prop shaft. Put 4 quarts DexIII back in. No leaks! Now put transfer case in H and tranny in N. Then park, rev., drive. Car acts like it wants to go forward in all gears except park. Slips. No reverse. No service lights. I'm thinking front differential or trasfer case or transmission itself. Did I miss something or did more damage occur than I thought?
First of all, WOW!!!

Second of all, pics please.

Third of all, the next time I see any poster asking "if they should" replace the front u-joints and centering ball...I'm referring them to this post.

Good luck man and keep us posted.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

While the truck in drive have your wife try and move it forward while you lay on the ground next to it (out of the way of course) and see which if any of the 2 prop shafts spin.
That will tell you if you have a bad tranny or diff.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! She's destined to get the insurance money at this rate. Thanks I'll try that.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, if you only put in 4 quarts of fluid you may be burning up your tranny, do you know how to fill our tranny?