Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission High Temperature Warning Lamp and more

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission High Temperature Warning Lamp and more

Hey guys (& girls?),

Preface:
Frequent reader, first time poster. Thanks to all the contributors here - I've learned so much from this forum. I've been driving a 2000 Disco II for over 60k miles (now at 150k) with virtually no maintenance (I don't even think the oil was changed...) due to my complete ignorance about cars in general. At one point my brakes squeeled fiercely and barely worked anymore; since I couldn't afford to pay to have them worked on, I decided to try to replace them myself and found this forum. Since then I've been hooked on working on the truck. I've replaced a blown water pump, rebuilt the front drive shaft, and have completed Mike's 60K service (minus front differential oil change - doing that tonight). Fortunately, I found this forum and paid attention to servicing the truck in time before something major broke down, as she seems no worse for the wear after the prolonged period of egregious neglect. So thanks again to all of you out there - you've helped inspire a new hobby and saved my truck from its certain demise.

On to my questions...

1.) My "Transmission High Temperature Warning " light is on. It popped on during a trip; the next day it was off on startup but would intermittantly pop on and off during a trip. (ex. would be on for 20 minutes then the for next 20 minutes would be off.) Now it stays on at all times. (This happened shortly before I did the 60k maintenance.) First I tried to just add ATF thinking it was low and apparently it was overfilled because it came pouring out the fill plug. Then I drained and refilled. I didn't replace the filter because of the dangers I read about doing that with the high mileage I have. Is there a sensor thats bad? Any other ideas?

2.) When idling on startup and at low speeds I can feel with my feet & hear a gentle but rapid knocking/dull rattle from underneath the car. It goes away as you accelerate up past 30mph. I thought rebuilding the front driveshaft might have fixed it, but no luck. Ideas?

3.) Lastly, my wipers are screwed up. They when you have them on an intermittent cycle they don't stop where they are supposed to (all the way down) They stop at incorrect intervals. However, they do a normal all the way up and back down full sweep when I just hit the wiper handle up to do a single sweep instead of setting it on auto.

Thanks again to everybody,
-Kellen

Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Could take a while to answer all this, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrab
1.) First I tried to just add ATF thinking it was low and apparently it was overfilled because it came pouring out the fill plug.
It was not overfilled it is supposed to do that. If it did not do that it means it is underfilled.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

1-your trans temp sensor is bad, replace it. The "dont touch a high miles trans" is a urban myth. Would you believe me if I said not to touch your high mile engine?
2-Sounds like bad catalytic converters
3-You need a new park switch. You can go about this one of two ways, you can either replace the whole wiper motor or you can replace just the park switch. Most replace the motor.

www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.car-part.com
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roversnorth.com