Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Transmission Lines

I am having problems with the transmission cooler, the two lines are failing, and now I have to replace the cooler because the spout where the line connects now leaks.

I am wondering what better fixes there are out there? Compression fitting?
What have you done to these lines when they failed?

My lines are original and my rover has 200,000 miles. Everyone here might want to get ready to change these out once their rover gets up in age, ours just came apart, the rubber crimped end came right off the metal hose while my wife was 40 miles away, the result is all the transmission fluid empties out on the road in about 30 seconds.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I am having problems with the transmission cooler, the two lines are failing, and now I have to replace the cooler because the spout where the line connects now leaks.

I am wondering what better fixes there are out there? Compression fitting?
What have you done to these lines when they failed?

My lines are original and my rover has 200,000 miles. Everyone here might want to get ready to change these out once their rover gets up in age, ours just came apart, the rubber crimped end came right off the metal hose while my wife was 40 miles away, the result is all the transmission fluid empties out on the road in about 30 seconds.
i think I read somewhere where somebody took them to a local hydraulic hose shop and had some made up

Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

What I heard that those are very hard to find. You have to ask Abran. Got mine from him.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
What I heard that those are very hard to find. You have to ask Abran. Got mine from him.
Impossible unless you want to import them at $300 a piece.

I am thinking, it may be as easy as slipping over some hose and a clamp. I don't believe they are high pressure since they only slide on anyway.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Pro Wrench

Impossible unless you want to import them at $300 a piece.

I am thinking, it may be as easy as slipping over some hose and a clamp. I don't believe they are high pressure since they only slide on anyway.
if you have it off, take it to a Parker hydraulic shop and have them make it for you

Old 03-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench

I thought about that, but the ends, my ends are rusty and barely work. I have looked at a huge assortment of hydraulic ends used here in the states, as well as talked to someone that has been making lines for years, and he has never seen the ends.

If I could find the ends, I could crimp my own with whatever line, hose I want.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Pro Wrench

I thought about that, but the ends, my ends are rusty and barely work. I have looked at a huge assortment of hydraulic ends used here in the states, as well as talked to someone that has been making lines for years, and he has never seen the ends.

If I could find the ends, I could crimp my own with whatever line, hose I want.
well that's sucks a big one

Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Why does it matter what kind of ends they are? just chop it off and stick a -8 AN compression fitting on either side and use standard threaded type hydraulic hose.

Problem is you might have to do most of it yourself unless you're willing to pull the hard lines out of the transmission which I heard is a major PITA

Hose clamps would work fine, but I'd be wary of using that as a permanent solution

I almost went down this route, but I ended up getting my lines to work OK. Cleaned them out thoroughly with carb cleaner and adjusted my technique

Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
well that's sucks a big one
Transmission Oil Cooler Pipe - LH - Genuine Land Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
check that out

Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Why does it matter what kind of ends they are? just chop it off and stick a -8 AN compression fitting on either side and use standard threaded type hydraulic hose.

Problem is you might have to do most of it yourself unless you're willing to pull the hard lines out of the transmission which I heard is a major PITA

Hose clamps would work fine, but I'd be wary of using that as a permanent solution

I almost went down this route, but I ended up getting my lines to work OK. Cleaned them out thoroughly with carb cleaner and adjusted my technique

What happened...

The rubber line at the crimp worked it's way off the line that goes to the transmission while she drove. Fluid shot out everywhere.

I reattached the line and used a hose clamp.

The rubber line then split after the clamp thus leaking again.

I have air line as well as hydraulic lines, steel reinforced. I just need to come up with a way to mount them to the cooler.
If you push on the cooler to hard you break the nipple and then the cooler leaks...and you don't have to push hard either.

Quick Reply: Transmission Lines