Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission temp light.. other ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission temp light.. other ??

My trans temp light (right hand side of instrument panel) comes on in my '99 Disco II after driving about 10-20 miles.. trans fluid just changed, along with filter. Had radiator repair, and that's when it started. Could it possibly be a bad sensor?? And if so, would driving it with the sensor light on damage the vehicle?

Another quickie.. back sunroof won't open anymore. Last time I got it open, I blasted some WD40 into it, and it freed up. Any way to get it unstuck (like a manual turn) to break it loose to rule out the motor? Thanks!

EDIT** I was also wondering if continuing driving it would damage the tranny... there's no burn smell/excessive heat going on...

Last edited by sammicurr72; 07-01-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

What kinda of radiator repair, because if im not mistaken, the trans cooler (looks like a small intercooler) is located
in front the radiator. Check that for leaks, check your lines to and from it. so that may be the cause of your problem.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level? also, you should check the temp sensor itself.

Those lights on the dash are to indicate a problem. In some cases possibly a severe problem. So to answer your last question, yes, you run the risk of damaging your transmission.

Last edited by dgi 07; 07-01-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
What kinda of radiator repair, because if im not mistaken, the trans cooler (looks like a small intercooler) is located
in front the radiator.
That's the AC condenser. The transmission cooler is behind the radiator. It is only a few inches tall and runs the length of the entire radiator. It has black rubber hoses on quick disconnects connected to either side.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
That's the AC condenser. The transmission cooler is behind the radiator.
Touche good sir. I stand corrected

Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Tranny fluid is good to go.. top level.. how do you check the sensor to see if it's bad?

As for the radiator repair, I was backed into, and the bottom corner got pinched, and was leaking fluid under pressure. Rad shop repaired it. Can you take the trans cooler off and flush it, checking for blockage? If so, what would you recommend to flush through it (I have no spare ATF on hand)?

**EDIT** IIRC, the trans temp sensor is located at the top left of the radiator, correct? Right behind the grill.. (top left as in standing in front of the truck)

Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by sammicurr72
Tranny fluid is good to go.. top level..
This leads me to believe that you may not know how to check the transmission fluid level.

There is not "top" or "bottom", as there is no dip stick. You need to have the truck running in park or neutral and check to see a 2mm bead of ATF coming out of the fill plug.

Is that what you see when you check the transmission fluid level?

EDIT:

**EDIT** IIRC, the trans temp sensor is located at the top left of the radiator, correct? Right behind the grill.. (top left as in standing in front of the truck)
No, that's not the transmission cooler. It's the engine radiator.

The transmission fluid temperature sensor is located on the passenger's side bottom of the transmission cooler.

Last edited by DarylJ; 07-01-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, Daryl... I know how to check the the trans fluid.. I know it's under the truck.. I checked that earlier. (When I said "top level", I meant that the 2mm bead did in fact come out) Thanks for the info on the sensor though.. I have a sensor that comes from under the condenser (where the cooler is), and it attaches right in front of the upper left corner of the radiator. I do believe that's the correct sensor. If not, where does that particular sensor attach at? Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
That's the AC condenser. The transmission cooler is behind the radiator. It is only a few inches tall and runs the length of the entire radiator. It has black rubber hoses on quick disconnects connected to either side.
I must've installed my coolers incorrectly then when I replaced the engine, because both oil and transmission coolers are in front of the radiator.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I must've installed my coolers incorrectly then when I replaced the engine, because both oil and transmission coolers are in front of the radiator.
Yeah..your'e right. Memory fog on my part.

In any case, the important part is that it's not the condenser, and is the one that runs the length of the radiator

I have a sensor that comes from under the condenser (where the cooler is), and it attaches right in front of the upper left corner of the radiator. I do believe that's the correct sensor. If not, where does that particular sensor attach at? Thanks again for your help.

I'm confused.

Are you using left and right incorrectly? Left and right on a vehicle are always from the reference point of the direction the driver sits. The trans oil temp sensor should be on the right hand side. That's the passenger's side of a left hand drive vehicle. It goes to the bottom, exactly like the diagram I already posted.

Last edited by DarylJ; 07-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

Daryl, I had mentioned my left as standing in front of the vehicle.. so, I have the connection on the upper right corner of the radiator from your perspective... the wire goes from there down to the cooler

Quick Reply: Transmission temp light.. other ??