Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tres Amigos Option B fix! Amigos are gone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tres Amigos Option B fix! Amigos are gone!

Finally broke down and performed the Option B fix! Worked like a charm.

Only issue I had was with trying to perform the fix with the modulator in place.

I could never get the Modulator high enough to do anything. After a hour of screwing around, I just pulled the modulator.

Can anyone give me a tip or trick on how to do this next time with the modulator in place? I sure would love not getting brake fluid all over the place.

And a bit of advice for others, I would definitely recommend getting a new set of shuttle valves when doing this. Its a reasonably priced part, and the labor to get it out for the fix definitely justifies replacing the shuttle valve.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Congratulations!

Old 07-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually started to do this today, but decided to hold on it because I was having a hard time getting the modulator high enough to get the hex driver on the screw.

Mine is so intermittent, like once every two weeks or so, I shut the Disco off, restart and they go away, that I almost don't want to do it. It is an easy wire job once the SVS is out though.

Congrats on yours!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it several months ago with the ABS unit in place, as well. And yeah it was a pain to get it high enough to get to those screws with a small right angle wrench. My knuckles are still healing.

I think the key is just to not worry so much about harming the brake lines. I knew at the time that brake lines are designed to flex, but I was still terrified. I hoisted it up gently with a piece of scrap wood and then used a bungee to keep it raised juuuuust high enough to get under there.

Since then, I've seen a video (maybe evan an Atlantic British one) where the tech didn't hesitate to really get under the unit and push it completely out of the bay. The lines flexed no problem. I was shocked.

If I ever need to redo the fix, I'm not gonna pussyfoot it again. Those lines can obviously take it.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop

And a bit of advice for others, I would definitely recommend getting a new set of shuttle valves when doing this. Its a reasonably priced part, and the labor to get it out for the fix definitely justifies replacing the shuttle valve.
Solid advice, given the work involved. But just know that there's a good chance your valves are fine and not the root cause of your amigos. I was certain mine were bad and I'd have to replace them. But I decided to pull them first and make sure.

Lo and behold, the valves were fine. They were merely suffering from the same issue described in that mod writeup...a cold solder. The bypass worked like a charm.

If you have the $75, sure why not. But if you want to save money, just know you might be able to.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I did this mod about 4 months ago and like you i fiddled with it for a while before just pulling the module. When i finally got the module out there was caked up mud/dirt on it making it a bit harder than it should be. If you are wondering why is there mud/dirt that far up, I've been stuck in holes with water up to my windshield before.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I was having a hard time getting the modulator high enough to get the hex driver on the screw.
May be good tool/bit to use.

Attached Thumbnails Tres Amigos Option B fix!  Amigos are gone!-img_20160208_162244844.jpg  
Old 07-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by niceflipflop
I did it several months ago with the ABS unit in place, as well. And yeah it was a pain to get it high enough to get to those screws with a small right angle wrench. My knuckles are still healing.

I think the key is just to not worry so much about harming the brake lines. I knew at the time that brake lines are designed to flex, but I was still terrified. I hoisted it up gently with a piece of scrap wood and then used a bungee to keep it raised juuuuust high enough to get under there.

Since then, I've seen a video (maybe evan an Atlantic British one) where the tech didn't hesitate to really get under the unit and push it completely out of the bay. The lines flexed no problem. I was shocked.

If I ever need to redo the fix, I'm not gonna pussyfoot it again. Those lines can obviously take it.
This was my main fear. I guess I should have just pushed more. Just seemed safer to just unhook everything and bleed afterwards. For those fearing the bleeding of the brakes after, it really wasn't that hard to bleed fluid thru the modulator with the 'ole "pump the brakes and hold it"