Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to diagnose a Tick

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to diagnose a Tick

Ok, so I know these motors tick frequently from a slipped sleeve, which might be the case, but I want to consider other options as well. I feel like my "Tick" is a bit different than what I have seen and read before.

So here are the symptoms:

- Hard tick happens at idle only when warmed up
- The frequency of ticks seems to correspond with RPM's until I hit about 1,800, then it goes away as long as the throttle is under load.
- As soon as I let off the accelerator (no load), no matter the RPM's, the tick comes back at a frequency that corresponds with RPM's. (ie. as I am coasting, the rpms slowly come down, but the tick will start right away when I let off the accelerator)
- It will tick even at high RPM's, 3,000+, as long as there is no pressure on the gas pedal. The moment I press the gas, even a little, the ticking stops completely. I often feather the gas pedal to keep the tick at bay.
- When riding with the Cruise Control engaged at 70mph, the ticking still happens when the throttle lets off to maintain proper speed. As soon as the CC increases acceleration to maintain speed, the tick goes away.
- When driving, it is NOT a hard tick. Rather, sounds like a very fast clicking

-I have done Seafoam to the gas, oil and intake with no change. It actually might of made it more noticeable.
-When I Seafoamed the intake, the throttle body looked very dirty, so my first step is going to be to clean it, and my first thought is that maybe the tick is coming from here?? But I am not sure that is even possible?

2004 Disco with 150k, coolant changed to green and 180 soft spring tstat installed. Temps stay well below 200* unless in traffic and then they creep to 210*ish

I have pretty basic mechanical skills, but I follow directions pretty well. I did the coolant and tstat myself, as well as a recent starter change.

I've read that it could also be lifters or rockers? Not sure how difficult that might be to do myself?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Check this out. This might work temporarily. Hope to hear back from you if it works

Last edited by LR03NJ; 08-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:46 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Likely lifters or oil pump.
My 04 was doing basically the same.
100% it's not the head gaskets, and definately not a knock.
I took my engine apart over the weekend.
The outer oil pump gear was broken in 3 pieces, but fortunaty didn't damage the cover, or anything else.
I had bought lifters, pushrods, rocker shafts, and a timing chain as well. Inside of engine was clean, with little sign of wear, 122k miles. Head gaskets were apparently done at some point.
If your oil pump has never been changed, or you don't know if it has, it's worth doing. About $100 pump and gaskets, an oil change, and basic hand tools. It's not a hard job. Even if it doesn't stop the tick, you know the pump should be good.
Lifters are also cheap, and can be done with basic tools.
And not a hard job either.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 08-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

post of video, higher quality the better.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Likely lifters or oil pump.
My 04 was doing basically the same.
100% it's not the head gaskets, and definately not a knock.
I took my engine apart over the weekend.
The outer oil pump gear was broken in 3 pieces, but fortunaty didn't damage the cover, or anything else.
I had bought lifters, pushrods, rocker shafts, and a timing chain as well. Inside of engine was clean, with little sign of wear, 122k miles. Head gaskets were apparently done at some point.
If your oil pump has never been changed, or you don't know if it has, it's worth doing. About $100 pump and gaskets, an oil change, and basic hand tools. It's not a hard job. Even if it doesn't stop the tick, you know the pump should be good.
Lifters are also cheap, and can be done with basic tools.
And not a hard job either.
I do not believe the oil pump has been replaced. Where are you finding a pump and gaskets for $100? I can only find oil pumps in the range of $400-$600. Did you just install a new pump drive gear?

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
post of video, higher quality the better.
I will do this ASAP. Easy to do for the idle tap, but might be a little difficult to record the sound while driving

Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by SensiRider
I do not believe the oil pump has been replaced. Where are you finding a pump and gaskets for $100? I can only find oil pumps in the range of $400-$600. Did you just install a new pump drive gear?

I will do this ASAP. Easy to do for the idle tap, but might be a little difficult to record the sound while driving

Lucky8 Parts
A site sponsor.
Great prices, fast shipping, excellent customer service.
Can't say enough good about them. I got all the engine parts from them, as well as a new front driveshaft.
I got a new set of D1 wiper arms that use normal blades too a few weeks ago, instead of those D2 unique arms and blades.
I was sick seeing Land Rover parts prices until I went to Lucky8's website.
Normal prices, cheap prices on good stuff.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...-oil-pump-gear

I got the new pump(both gears).
I'm also replacing the timing chain(it's gears look fine).
Rocker Shafts, pushrods and lifters, spark plugs and wires, all gaskets.
New gasket in my power steering pump.
I took it all apart over the weekend and found the broken oil pump.
It'll be next week before I get back to it. Have alot of cleaning before reassembly.
Given how good my engine looks inside, and having a broken oil pump gear, no doubt that was the noise.
And since I don't have a walked cam bearing or slipped liner, I'm confident the tick will be gone.
These things are so nice to work on too. Much easier than Japanese or American.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 08-01-2017 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SensiRider (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Lucky8 Parts
A site sponsor.
Great prices, fast shipping, excellent customer service.
Can't say enough good about them. I got all the engine parts from them, as well as a new front driveshaft.
I got a new set of D1 wiper arms that use normal blades too a few weeks ago, instead of those D2 unique arms and blades.
I was sick seeing Land Rover parts prices until I went to Lucky8's website.
Normal prices, cheap prices on good stuff.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...-oil-pump-gear
Awesome!! So, is there a write up on replacing this?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling

If not, sounds like you are in a good spot to make one.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

These things are so nice to work on too. Much easier than Japanese or American.
Lol, thats because it IS American. Looked at a small block ford or Chevy lately?

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by SensiRider
Awesome!! So, is there a write up on replacing this?

I run a D2 2003 facelift with clip (crap) type wiper blades. I changed mine to D1 wiper blades from the advice of Kernow Discovery and they are excellent and in fact you can fit virtually any hook type wiper blade including the aero type.

Quick Reply: Trying to diagnose a Tick