Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Tune-Up and Coolant Leak (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/tune-up-coolant-leak-47194/)

BillyAMoody 02-03-2012 10:31 PM

Tune-Up and Coolant Leak

BLUF:

Multiple cylinder misfires.

New plugs but cheap wires. (I have a set of Magnecors on the way).

Unknown coolant leak from high point in rear of engine.

I plan to pull the intake, find the leak and change the wires.

Should I change the coil pack while I have it off? 109,000 miles on the truck.

My 04 Disco has always ran a little hokie. Well after a love hate relationship through the summer, changing some power steering components and other sundry items...It started leaking from the back of the motor, up high. I don't think it's a head gasket.

What y'all reckon?

thanks in advance for the help.

Spike555 02-03-2012 10:57 PM

Install the new wires and replace the valley pan gasket, done.

4x4trouble 02-04-2012 02:33 AM

use gasket sealant around water ports

Savannah Buzz 02-04-2012 07:26 AM

When you take off the top intake, you are in the best position to make a quick fuel pump pressure test (not related to your problems, but the test valve is hard to get at normally).

Disco Mike 02-04-2012 10:28 AM

What are the exact fault codes? Leave the coil alone till we can see the actual fault code numbers.
As for the coolant leak, if you are sure it is not the head gaskets, then when removing the top manifold, pay attention to how loose the six bolts are. Then check the lower manifold, if the bolts are loose, that is most likely your problem, not a failed valley pan gasket. Use blue LockTite either way on those bolts so they don't vibrate loose.

BillyAMoody 02-04-2012 09:07 PM

Thanks for the posts!

Codes are 1300, 300, 302 I think the last time I checked with the Service Engine light flashing.

I made a note to check the bolts.

I started tearing it down this morning, but had to stop and haven't gotten back to it yet. The upper bolts weren't loose, but they broke loose easier than I thought they should. Still a little something binding it up. I'm looking at the RAVE now, I just need to tinker with it.

More to follow. Thanks again.

BillyAMoody 02-06-2012 07:56 AM

Is there a preferred gasket brand/set?

thanks,

Billy

Savannah Buzz 02-06-2012 08:22 AM

A number of on line suppliers, Atlantic British, British Pacific, Rovers North, BP Utah, AutohausAZ, etc. A valley pan gasket is about $35.

Disco Mike 02-06-2012 09:26 AM

Most local parts stores can supply you with a valley pan gasket.

BillyAMoody 02-13-2012 02:40 PM

Almost got it back together.

There's a plastic hose (I think it's emissions or vacuum) adjacent to the rear of the passenger valve cover.

I didn't unhook it from anything, but it's disconnected. Looking at the Rave I think it might be a snorkle tube or something similiar, but I'm not sure.

There's a couple back there but they're all conneced to something. This one just comes up from along the firewall and loops over about 2 inches.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Billy