Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U.S. or European specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U.S. or European specs

New to the forum. I have a line on a 96 Discovery SE in Germany for $3500 USD. Disc has 94.5K miles on it with new brakes and tires and the exterior is in decent condition. How can I find out if it's U.S. or European specs? Is it a matter of running the VIN or is there more involved? The price is almost too good to pass up and I want to make sure I can take it to Hawaii when I leave Germany. The party selling is known to me and I don't think they'd burn me. Still have to get maintenance records and associated paperwork to review. Any help appreciated.

Joe
96 Discovery SE
Stuttgart Germany

Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: U.S. or European specs

check the vin it should tell you if it was spec. for export. keep on the records it is a big deal. The price is okay. I would check and see if you can find one local when you get to when you are going. I don't know the shipping costs. The best thing you said was almost to good to be true. From where you are and the way you write. I would guess U.S. military. Been there done that. My question is why is the person selling it? With the rover also make sure to get the repair records as well as the maintainence records. You may also want to check the price and availability of parts in hawaii. The shipping could be killer. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. 96 disco 130k been good to me, and I keep it right. Duboff. welcome to the forum.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Drifting

The Disc was purchased a year ago by one of the guys here (you're right, we're military) and my understanding it was purchased on the continent and brought over to Europe as a new vehicle in 96. The original owner sold it to the guy here and the spouse wanted to change to a Jeep Liberty. The first attempt to sell the Disc went south when a buyer agreed to a sale price of 7k and the check was no good. There are lots of vehicle scams here in Europe with bogus checks and the seller being stuck with the bag. In this case, at least the guy didn't ship the Disc (as has happened in the past). Out 3K but still has the vehicle. The bottom line is he wants to get out of the payment and move the vehicle. The selling price will clear the title and put a couple of bucks in his pocket. I'm going to get the Disc on the rack for a look and get all the records. As for shipping, the military will ship one vehicle for me to Hawaii so that won't be too much of a problem. I'll either sell or pay to ship my Volvo. Shipping of parts will be a challenge as I've been living off the continent for the past 10 years and pay higher prices for everything. Fuel here in Germany is 1.18 Euro per liter which equates to almost $4.00 USD per gallon. Great to be on the Forum.

Joe
96 Discovery

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Got the 96 Disc and driving it around for a couple of days. Here's what's happening so far. Disc drives and stops ifine but the check engine light and abs light are both lit on the dash. Previous owner said there hasn't been a problem with the lights being illuminated but after reading some of the posts, I want to make sure that it can be an easy repair and it won't break the bank if it becomes my only vehicle. Seller said the LR dealership in Stuttgart can clear the codes (80 euro) but didn't indicate the codes would make the vehicle unsafe to drive. Any recommendations?

Joe
96 Discovery SE7

Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling

The codes can be cleared by the dealer. there maybe a problem, that will have to be fixed. not the usual but, could be. I did talk to a person that has done the ha. thing and the inspection standards there make ca. look like a walk in the park. good that you got the records. also check to see about the rover dealers in hi. Get the shop manual, it will come in handy. also check to see about rover clubs there. the other things that I would suggest that you have checked are wet and dry compression tests. pressure test on tthe coolant system. charging system check with all the stuff on. The price is good, but if you end up spending money on parts(and it dosn't take many) the money you save on the front will be lost on the repairs. Just because of where you are and where you are going, to make sure the vehicle is right. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff.