Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Undetectable noise. front left wheel. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/undetectable-noise-front-left-wheel-12137/)

javoli001 02-19-2008 11:06 AM

Undetectable noise. front left wheel.

Hi again.

I still have a strange noise on the front left wheel , I have already changed , Steereng dampner , Wheel Hubs ( All 4 ) both drive shafts.
and numerous ather things and the damned noise is still there. It increases when accelerating and turning to the right, it stops when not accelerating. I took it a work shop and told me that now I need new wheels and Shocks. That these is the cause of the noise.
I am really running out of options , money and patience. Actually I thought of turning up the volume and forgetting about the entire thing and waiting for something to come off , but this car belonged to my grand father and he really liked it ( so do I Really ) and intend to bring it back to new condition , but still need to do the 60 K service....And getting a little desperate.

LR Work shop ( called the house of terror in Mexico ) originaly told me it was the transfer case .... I have checked it and to my knowledge it is all good No sounds Leaks or anything.

Perhaps I should do a check List of everything I need to do acording to priorities right ?

What would guys consider as a priority ? Noise , 60 K service , Wheels , Shocks ?

jkid 02-19-2008 01:26 PM

RE: Undetectable noise. front left wheel.

I would do the full service first (unless your tires are very worn). Who knows, changing the fluids might fix it (maybe power steeering, diff / tranfer case noise?). Can you describe the noise any better? Is the noise constant, rhytmic, loud, soft, metal-metal, scraping, cluncking, squealing, occur when actually turning the steering wheel or is itwhen holding it in a right hand turn? Shocks or sway bar sounds plausible but it depends on the sound.

okdiscoguy 02-19-2008 01:45 PM

What year and mileage?

Disco Mike 02-19-2008 02:21 PM

No shocks, no wheels. Does it happen more when turning??

javoli001 02-20-2008 11:05 AM

Disco 2003 67k.

Checked all fluids , Nothing aparent on Trany or Transfer Case. Noise is soft Metalic scraping.
Happens when accelerating and turing to the right at 40+ MPH ( on left front Wheel ) also happens when road is irregular and increases when accelerating ... Also tends to wonder off on irregular roads or constant correction ( hands on wheel oll the time ).
Wheels are worn unevenly , more on the inside ... they are KHUMO 255.55 r 18. Shocks are Custom LR. seem a little worn.
Very hard on bumps or holes on road ( I believe this is normal right ?). Engine Oil . Air filter , seem new I have no history and havent checked anything else. LR Mexico has NO history on this car so I´m pretty much on your hands and will be bery thankfull if I can save some Money.

Disco Mike 02-20-2008 12:02 PM

Has any one looked at the front CV joints?

S4poor 02-20-2008 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: javoli001

Hi again.

I still have a strange noise on the front left wheel , I have already changed , Steereng dampner , Wheel Hubs ( All 4 ) both drive shafts.
and numerous ather things and the damned noise is still there. It increases when accelerating and turning to the right, it stops when not accelerating. I took it a work shop and told me that now I need new wheels and Shocks. That these is the cause of the noise.
I am really running out of options , money and patience. Actually I thought of turning up the volume and forgetting about the entire thing and waiting for something to come off , but this car belonged to my grand father and he really liked it ( so do I Really ) and intend to bring it back to new condition , but still need to do the 60 K service....And getting a little desperate.

LR Work shop ( called the house of terror in Mexico ) originaly told me it was the transfer case .... I have checked it and to my knowledge it is all good No sounds Leaks or anything.

Perhaps I should do a check List of everything I need to do acording to priorities right ?

What would guys consider as a priority ? Noise , 60 K service , Wheels , Shocks ?

It’s the most obvious. CV joint or wheel bearing. I bet you anything.

Jack up that wheel and see if there is any abnormal play.

JEFIII 02-20-2008 01:09 PM

I'm with Mike. I bet it's the CV joints, driveshaft u-joints, or centering ball issue. DAMHIK! JF

javoli001 02-20-2008 01:20 PM

Changed the wheel Hubs with ABS sensor Nothing Only No more 3 amigos so far (I bougt these Used on e bay .)

Havent checked CV Joints. Called Shop and told me that IT hadnt occured to them.
They are checking as we speak... 5 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

javoli001 02-20-2008 01:37 PM

Checking Centering Ball and CV joint.. is not as easy as I thought ... will get back to You in 2-3 hours.