Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unintended acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Unintended acceleration.

I was on the way to work this morning and had an issue with unintended acceleration. I was passing a slow moving truck, and I accelerated.

The next thing that I notice is that I am still accelerating even after pulling my foot off the gas and hitting the break. The cruise control was NOT on and there where no obstructions near the gas pedal. This happened TWICE on the way to work.

I also noticed that after the first incident the idle was running much higher than normal. Also by the time I got to work the Hill Decent light came on.

When I checked under the hood after I got to work the throttle cable closest to the front of the car seemed a bit lose to me. I am assuming there is an issue with the throttle cable. Either way I am having the truck towed back home so that I can look at it.

Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the fix?

Last edited by chicane; 08-12-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

These trucks don't have a drive by wire system for throttle body, it all mechanical linkage,
Clean inside throttle body, so it idles smoothly, and look for a snag in cable's (both accelerator cable & cruise control cable) that doesn't let it return to full closed position when you take your foot off the gas ,

Old 08-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Question

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
These trucks don't have a drive by wire system for throttle body, it all mechanical linkage,
Clean inside throttle body, so it idles smoothly, and look for a snag in cable's (both accelerator cable & cruise control cable) that doesn't let it return to full closed position when you take your foot off the gas ,
Which one is the accelerator and which is cruise control?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

The one closest to front of car is cruise control, one behind it is accelerator

Old 08-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
The one closest to front of car is cruise control, one behind it is accelerator
And, by the book, it is supposed to be a tad looser than the throttle cable.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling

I'll bet it is a stuck butterfly in the throttle body. Time for some carb clean!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Just throwing this out there. A few weeks ago my throttle did the same thing. I shut down and pulled over. Fiddled with the throttle cable. Got back in. Started up the road and the accelerator went to the floor. It didn't come back up.

Then the throttle cable came right out of the sleeve. It was cut right at the firewall. I had to idle home 4 miles in 4low. Misery.

When I got home I ordered another from AB and found out there was a recall on that part years ago. My throttle cable was original.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

You're probably right about the butterfly plate though.

This is what I found right there on the roadside. Broke right at the firewall. I can't find the TSB at the moment.

Name:  IMG_20150720_143619.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  268.6 KB

The following users liked this post:
chicane (08-16-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Just throwing this out there. A few weeks ago my throttle did the same thing. I shut down and pulled over. Fiddled with the throttle cable. Got back in. Started up the road and the accelerator went to the floor. It didn't come back up.

Then the throttle cable came right out of the sleeve. It was cut right at the firewall. I had to idle home 4 miles in 4low. Misery.

When I got home I ordered another from AB and found out there was a recall on that part years ago. My throttle cable was original.
Exactly. This one:

Recall Number: 02V028000Recall Date: 01/23/2002
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Problem Summary: ON SOME SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE ACCELERATOR CABLE COULD HAVE BECOME KINKED DURING VEHICLE ASSEMBLY, RESULTING IN CHAFFING OF THE CABLE. CONTINUED CHAFFING CAN LEAD TO BREAKAGE OF THE INTERIOR CABLE STRANDS.

Consequence: BREAKAGE OF THE CABLE STRANDS CAN RESULT IN THE THROTTLE BEING STUCK IN THE OPEN POSITION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE DAMAGED CABLES WHERE NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 6, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT LAND ROVER AT 1-301-731-9040.

I don't have time to dig in there and look at it until tomorrow but this felt to me like a straight up mechanical linkage issue NOT a sticky throttle body. How long do these recalls stay in effect?

Quick Reply: Unintended acceleration.