Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unintended acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I'll bet it is a stuck butterfly in the throttle body. Time for some carb clean!
No way. This ain't no sticky throttle body. And you really shouldn't be throwing this stuff out there with a situation as serious as this.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ble-fix-55444/

Last edited by chicane; 08-13-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
No way. This ain't no sticky throttle body. And you really shouldn't be throwing this stuff out there with a situation as serious as this.

I didn't check the link there but when my throttle cable arrived at 8:30 am the next day I went outside in a suit and had it installed in under five minutes without getting dirty. There is a recommended adjustment, I think, but mine just fit right the first time.

I should add that if you find that this is the problem AB is the place to get it. It is two to three times MORE expensive on ebay or amazon than AB (about 25 dollars plus shipping at AB, if memory serves) and AB makes SURE you have I the next day (if you pay for overnight shipping, which was more than the cable).

Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane

Well, he was asking questions. Based on his scenario, "I gassed it to pass and then the throttle stuck," it sounded like 200 other vehicles I've seen where the butterfly is all carboned up, and sticks when reaching relatively unvisited positions. I thought this was a likely place to look. Sort of like, "Don't shotgun the problem; diagnose it and fix what is truly broken or wrong."

Your post is full of vile and hate and superiority. You did not even offer any credible experience or logic toward any solutions. People like you are the reason I took a sabbatical from this blasted forum for a year or so. I'm taking another one, starting now.

Forever.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow!

Nick don't go... you've been a help to me and I need all of the help I can get. Think on that please.

This forum is a cupcake party compared to Pirate4x4!!! I don't think it was meant as harshly as you think.

Besides, you may yet be right about the problem with the OP's truck.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Well, he was asking questions. Based on his scenario, "I gassed it to pass and then the throttle stuck," it sounded like 200 other vehicles I've seen where the butterfly is all carboned up, and sticks when reaching relatively unvisited positions. I thought this was a likely place to look. Sort of like, "Don't shotgun the problem; diagnose it and fix what is truly broken or wrong."

Your post is full of vile and hate and superiority. You did not even offer any credible experience or logic toward any solutions. People like you are the reason I took a sabbatical from this blasted forum for a year or so. I'm taking another one, starting now.

Forever.
No one stops me from giving my experience with a problem that some has shared on here. I will tell you this, after reading your post. I went and cleaned mine, and it was pretty tarnished. You have been a member longer and probably have had more experience with Rovers. LOL, I have been a member only since Feb 2015, but because of this forum, and guys like yourself, I am a better Rover owner.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Just for the record I had a chance to peek inside and the Throttle return control (opposite side of the throttle position sensor) essentially disintegrated. Ordered a replacement throttle body. The throttle body itself was fairly clean (low miles truck).

Also, the throttle cable was completely sheared. Ordered a new one from Atlantic British, best price by far.

To Nick Adams you really need to lighten up. If you can't take a simple forum post how are you going to withstand dealing with these sh!tty trucks of ours.

Last edited by chicane; 08-29-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my throttle cable snap at 129K. I used a tow strap hooked to the butterfly and strung through the passenger window to drive by rope to work a couple blocks away. Replacement was a snap. Waiting for the next catastrophe!