Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen

Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Maginness
A lot 😉

I'm overseas traveling and don't remember the model number. It's a Kenwood eXcelon like DNX9 something.

Was a complete install.
Focal 3 ways upfront
Focal 2 ways in the back doors
Dynamat doors
Front and rear dash cam install (independent from the deck)
Front and back up cameras connected to the deck
Amps
10" Sub on the back door.
USB power points in rear (replaced stock passenger radio controls)
2 USB and 1 HDMI connection in the dash
Was $5,000 before tax in parts and labor
Sounds awesome and I love the Car Play integration

Rear sub was a lot of work. I wanted it to look stock'ish and not interfere with the fold down jump seats.
Wow! I'm sure it sounds awesome, looks clean.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

$5000!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Lisa Bunch (03-27-2019)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this in my disco, I have apple carplay, backup camera, etc now, it was a lot of fab work, a lot of bondo and jb weld, etc but works out well. in case anyone is interested in doing this here are a few pictures of the process, basically had to cut the dash trim piece apart, then glue it back together with jb weld and some fiberglass mat for strength, then bondo it up and paint the trim piece, the hvac control ends up being lowered by about 1/2 and inch and has to be trimmed a little on the back side to fit. then i used some aluminum angle to make a mounting bracket for the radio and installed that first, then the trim went on and then all the switches, hvac controls, etc. go back in.

I don't have a final picture of how it turned out on my phone, but will get one tonight and upload it.

Over all it turned out pretty good, the stereo I used was a pioneer that was pretty deep and ended up sticking out just a little further on the top than I would have liked, but because of the awkward shape I could angle it more, if I had used another brand without the lip for the controls I could have got a better fit, but I had already purchased the head unit and didn't want to try and do a different one.

feel free to reach out if your thinking of doing something like this, I can probably give you a few pointers.

Attached Thumbnails upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_9709.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_9620.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_9465.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_0065.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_5429.jpg  

upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_6220.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_1125.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_7008.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_7454.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_8751.jpg  

upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_9104.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_0470.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_1234.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_5723.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_9205.jpg  

upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_7802.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_6777.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_6077.jpg   upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen-img_4139.jpg  

Last edited by charlesp461; 03-19-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: updating info
JUKE179r (05-28-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:26 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Cool,
I want to do something like that in the near future, or if and when the rest of the truck stops eating money.

ReconDoc83 (09-22-2020)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, but a bit off topic. The stereo i got fits in a normal single din space, so no need for any fabrication. The screen attaches to the outside and sricks a bit out on the dash.

The question was if anyone know how I can get the speakers to works, or why connecting the iso sockets does not seem to be enough ..

Thanks
Mark

Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markdeg
Cool, but a bit off topic. The stereo i got fits in a normal single din space, so no need for any fabrication. The screen attaches to the outside and sricks a bit out on the dash.

The question was if anyone know how I can get the speakers to works, or why connecting the iso sockets does not seem to be enough ..

Thanks
Mark
I think it is not possible to tell from the photos you posted, if the wiring harness that plugs into the back of your Joying unit, and that is connected to the car's plugs, is actually the correct pinout to make proper speaker connections. Just because the connectors are standard, doesn't mean the pinouts within a connector needs to be. Start with the picture on the back of the Joying unit, and pick on speaker (right front, say), and follow those two wires up to the other end of the connector, and be sure that the locations within the connector for those two wires matches the car pinout diagram. You have one photo of the car plugs connected to the Joying harness, but from that picture I can't see the individual pinouts of the joying harness.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Drifting

I was able to dig out what I think is the correct pinout for the Joying harness, and it looks like it should be correct. Be sure you don't have c0092 and c0098 backwards and plugged into the wrong socket. Should be obvious if they are not right though, since one of them supplies power to the head unit, it would not turn on if they were backwards. I'll attach the diagram I found for the joying for reference.

I'm curious how this goes for you, because I've thought about android in my D2. I would like to incorporate OBD2 data into dashboards, but that seems like a challenge on my 2000 model. I like the options for putting a car launcher solution together with Android though.

Andrew Adamson (12-05-2020)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Drifting

My final thought for you for the night. Does the documentation that came with the Joying unit specify what the 'AMP-CONT' wire is for? It could be an internal amplifier that needs to be powered, in order to drive the speakers. Meaning, if the amp in the head unit is powered individually from the head unit itself, it may not be producing speaker output yet, explaining why you're not hearing sound, even if the connector pinouts are correct. Check to see what that 'amp-cont' wire is for.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all, will ask the supplier for what amp cont is for. So the d2 has a separate amplifier somewhere?

Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by markdeg
Thanks all, will ask the supplier for what amp cont is for. So the d2 has a separate amplifier somewhere?
I'm not sure, but it is entirely possible that any power the D2 radio requires is handled through the power connections contained within the connectors. And if your new head unit requires separate power to an amp, and that is what that connector is for, it could explain your challenges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upgrade Stereo to Joying Android Stereo with 10 inch screen