Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing

After got tired of dealing with thee Plastic bleed screw I decided to replace them with Home depot hardware. see the picture.

I have seen similar works with some sort of Brass bleeder.

Does anyone have an instruction how to do that and measurements?

Also do you have to buy all 3 hoses? can you order the top piece only that goes to Radiator only?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing-unnamed.jpg   Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing-unnamed-3-.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, the way you tightens those hose down will make them burst pretty soon, the connection ends appear too small for at least two of them, and clamps are squeezing hoses far too much,
If you need the longer hose to radiator, then yes you need to buy all 3, but if you need any of other 2 you can buy any 90* bent hose that inside diameter is 1.33" =34mm and long enough,

Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
Man, the way you tightens those hose down will make them burst pretty soon, the connection ends appear too small for at least two of them, and clamps are squeezing hoses far too much,
If you need the longer hose to radiator, then yes you need to buy all 3, but if you need any of other 2 you can buy any 90* bent hose that inside diameter is 1.33" =34mm and long enough,

You are correct. They look funny. I think I used short threaded pipes as extension. Its been a while. these are what I used. I think I am going to redo. The challenges is to out the bleeder.

Anyone have instructions?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing-6101422.jpg   Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing-6125207_1.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I avoid worm gear clamps because they are not under tension by themselves. If the diameter of the material it is holding changes/reduced the tension is no longer applied.

Whereas the true tensioners are designed to exert tension within a range of diameters so even if the diameter of the hose shrinks, it still exerts tension.

Only time I would use worm gear type clamp is when it is incredibly major PiTA to place the tensioner.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
You are correct. They look funny. I think I used short threaded pipes as extension. Its been a while. these are what I used. I think I am going to redo. The challenges is to out the bleeder.

Anyone have instructions?

Thanks
I use a similar home depot part and the ends wont be tapered as the NPT style pipe ends.
Land Rover and Range Rover Picture by LR03NJ | 6815514 | LandRoverForums
There is one also at ebay made with aluminum with the bleed screw
Land Rover Discovery 2 Coolant Hose "T" connector

Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Galvanized

I cant believe that the galvanized pipe is the best solution. What about copper? Stainless, some other less chemically treated metal. There has to be reason there is no galvanized steel in contact with fluids.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
After got tired of dealing with thee Plastic bleed screw I decided to replace them with Home depot hardware. see the picture.

I have seen similar works with some sort of Brass bleeder.

Does anyone have an instruction how to do that and measurements?

Also do you have to buy all 3 hoses? can you order the top piece only that goes to Radiator only?

Thanks
why not do the inline thermostat mod? The entire mod costs about the same as the upper hose assembly (speaking from first hand experience )

Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jamestfl
why not do the inline thermostat mod? The entire mod costs about the same as the upper hose assembly (speaking from first hand experience )
I have been reading about that too. is there any benefit doing so? you can get the upper assembly for less than $30 bucks

do you have the instruction and parts needed for it?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I use a similar home depot part and the ends wont be tapered as the NPT style pipe ends.
Land Rover and Range Rover Picture by LR03NJ | 6815514 | LandRoverForums
There is one also at ebay made with aluminum with the bleed screw
Land Rover Discovery 2 Coolant Hose "T" connector
The ebay one looks perfect but $100 for a T-pipe is over the board.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

That part is only "$100" if you are paying in Canadian $$.

Quick Reply: Upper Radiator Hose - tired of changing