Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Fall- had system flushed a month ago.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Water Fall- had system flushed a month ago.

I have a 2000 with 92,000. I have heard the water fall in other Discos and I know that I have air in the coolant system due to a leak. There is no coolant in the oil and I think I have pinpointed the leak. My question is how can I get the air pocket out without flushing? I have read on other posts that you start with a cool motor and unscrew the pressure valve at the "T" connection, start the motor and add coolant to the reservoir until the coolant starts coming out of the pressure valve. Is this the correct sequence? My other problem is that I don't have a valve on my "T" connection, there is however what looks like a valve right in the middle of the hose that rests on top of the fan shroud. Is this what I should unscrew to start the process?

Any other tips would be great!!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unscrew the bleed screw on the upper radiator hose, add coolant until it comes out then replace that screw.
Top off the coolant reservoir and then start the truck leaving the cap off and turning the heater to HOT.
let the engine idle until that upper hose is to hot to touch and steam is coming out of the reservoir, replace cap with the engine still running.
Make sure that you are getting heat while doing this as well as checking the temp gauge.
Drive it for a day, check the coolant level when cold.
Re-check the level for 3 days, every morning after the truck has sat all night.
Top off as needed.
If you do not fix your leak first then you will never get the air out as it will keep coming back.
As the engine cools it will suck air in through the leak.