Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Various questions

I have scoured the forums for answers to my questions and have found a lot of opinions, would like to go ahead and post a few questions at risk of being flamed...

Here goes:

Lifts:

Currently stock worn suspension, just installed an rte bumper at near 200 lbs, and an m8000 winch. I'm ready to order up a 2 in lift. I am going to add sliders and a roof rack, high lift jack, spare parts, tools, camping gear, etc. I have not tallied the weights, but should be pretty basic / fairly laden. Very important to keep good articulation. Should I go with med duty OME springs and use spacers to level it up, or go with heavier springs? If its my own decision I will stay with the lighter ones and space them, but would like to get some first hand advice. I do not want my discovery to ride like a dump truck. I do not drive like Ivan Stewart off road, so I don't need a Baja racing suspension. I want articulation in the rocky stuff.

I have some good feedback from locals that the super Gaz suspension kits are great stuff BTW. Still, I'm leaning toward OME for various reasons..

Fender flares:

Disco Mike- what did you use for yours? They look great and I wish to copy you.

Update:

I took the land rover plunge a few weeks ago, bought a cheap blowed up 03, then scrounged hard and found a nice 2000 model. So far the 2000 model has proven to be a sweet and solid rig. It had a wicked vibration that i was able to remedy within a couple days by addressing the front driveline, it also had numerous annoying issues with door locks and windows that I have fixed already. I have serviced it and logged about 2000 mi on it without issue. I am becoming very familiar with it, and honestly I trust it is up to the task..I'm glad I looked at so many with a critical eye before buying one...this rig spent a lot of time on a tow bar, and the motor is strong and fresh (and quiet even..knocking on wood) . This will become my hunting rig and get a good complement of niceties...

I'm so stoked on these rigs, I might get another one for my spousal unit to use as a diaper wagon!

I'm in the process of over hauling a motor to have on hand as well (flanged sleeve block 4.6) I'll do that in my spare time and have a bullet proof motor ready to go in case something foul should happen...

Once again, thanks to this forum for all the info packed away in it. I had a pretty easy time sorting out my rig so far with all the first hand accounts, the rave, etc....plus I love to wrench anyway...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
I have some good feedback from locals that the super Gaz suspension kits are great stuff BTW. Still, I'm leaning toward OME for various reasons..

Super Gaz is good stuff?

At best you will get 1inch from the OME MD spring with that bumper.

you may get 1.5 from the HD ome. With the extra weight it will ride fine. But as I always say Stat at the Start

What size tires are you putting on? That is the key question when picking a lift.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Mudding

A few locals have had a lot of good feedback on the super gaz kits. I'm not sure how their heads are calibrated for ride and function, but at least their longevity claims seem believable.

I would like to clear 265's at least and not need a lot of other mods aside from springs and dampers. Maybe I need the OME 3 in lift? Which springs?

I can tell this topic is more a matter of personal preference, I may just need to get involved with the local land rover club and see what others are using and be able to get some seat time in various setups.

I'm planning to order a kit next week or so once I decide a starting point.

As for use, I travel on a lot of county and FS roads that get decent maintenance, as well as two track fire roads and mining trails that can get pretty gnarly, rocky, etc. Also a fair amount of sand wash and dunes.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Mudding
Default Nevermind

I finally turned up enough info to get myself sorted out.

Somehow I missed a really good thread, although still somewhat subjective, it had some enlightening information..