Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viscous Clutch Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viscous Clutch Cooling Fan

I picked up the replacement viscous clutch for my cooling fan today. I went to swap out the fan from my existing assembly and it does not bolt on the back like the new one. Are the stock fans pressed or glued on to the viscous clutch?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearden Steel
Are the stock fans pressed or glued on to the viscous clutch?
03/04 D2 came with a one piece fan/clutch assembly. 02 or earlier D2 fan will bolt on to a replacement clutch. If you search D2 area you'll many threads on the subject.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 893 Likes on 644 Posts

Some '03/'04 owners have bought used '99-'02 fans so they could use aftermarket fan clutches.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what its worth, I replaced the fan (due to a crack) on my '01 with a fan from an Explorer:
Dorman Products - 620-112

Bolts right on, no "adjustment" to mounting holes needed to the Hayden 2991 fan clutch I have on it.

Seems to work well, with a OEM 180 degree thermostat, I run 188 degrees most of the time going down the road.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearden Steel
I picked up the replacement viscous clutch for my cooling fan today. I went to swap out the fan from my existing assembly and it does not bolt on the back like the new one. Are the stock fans pressed or glued on to the viscous clutch?
You can either return the new clutch and buy the factory 1-piece fan/clutch combo or buy an earlier D2 fan that accepts the clutch separately. The '02 setup has its benefits as you can upgrade to a HD clutch and then have the ability to find a replacement that will fit the fan at any big-box retailer. The 1-piece is more expensive and never stocked at the auto-parts store.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pod184
For what its worth, I replaced the fan (due to a crack) on my '01 with a fan from an Explorer:
Dorman Products - 620-112

Bolts right on, no "adjustment" to mounting holes needed to the Hayden 2991 fan clutch I have on it.

Seems to work well, with a OEM 180 degree thermostat, I run 188 degrees most of the time going down the road.
Thank you pod184 the 620-112 bolted right on.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Good find!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

I was in Houston, TX today and the Auto Zone I was near had one in stock (my local Auto Zones did not have it in stock). It was 25.00 so I figured why not grab one. It'll give me a chance to fully inspect my OEM 02 Kalahari's for stress cracks (harder to spot on the black fan blades).

Before I just slapped it on I did verify that the fan blade pitch was correct (some fan clutches are clockwise and some are counterclockwise so the fan blade pitch is different depending on the setup).

It came with a half inch spacer for certain applications, but I didn't use it as the fan blade placement was within 5mm of where the original sat. Did a quick drive to town and it seemed to do just fine.

It appears to be for a lot of Ford Ranger's & Ford Explorers. I remember back when I had a Jeep Wrangler that people were using a similar fan blade off of a Ford. I also remember there being an 11 blade HD unit vs the standard 9 blade unit.

Good find and certainly a good idea to replace your OEM fan blade vs having it explode on ya (I caught my H3 Alpha's plastic fan right before a blade tore off!!!)

Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to contribute to the LR world.
Truthfully though, I stumbled across this fan; I first saw it was in someone's sig (though I can't recall who, nor can find any posts with the info on it) so I can't take full credit for it.

Before I installed it, I made a very amateur attempt to figure out if the degrees of pitch for the fan blades is the same as the OEM, but quickly determined I had no idea what I was doing. I've been watching my Ultraguage pretty close since the install last spring, and my D2 runs mostly 188, might hit 194 if I'm idling too long. Very rare to be above that.

I still have my old (possibly questionable) OEM fan, I've thought about temporarily swapping back to get a direct comparison to see if temps change any, but the Dorman seems to be working well enough that I don't know if I want to risk something flying apart just to verify. In the 6 months I've been running this, my strong suspicion is that the Ford/Dorman fan works just as well as the OEM setup.
I do run a severe duty fan clutch though too, so its probably getting a little more airflow (and noise!) than an OEM setup would get.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

I looked thru all my old 03-06 Jeep Wrangler stuff and sure enough that's the same fan blade people with the 4.0L I6 used vs the 5 blade fan. I knew that P/N sounded familiar.

Quick Reply: Viscous Clutch Cooling Fan