Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight specs for "heavy duty" terrafirma lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff Blake,

I appreciate all the insight given we run similar set ups and you have had issues with the TF HD.

Maybe long term I save more money by going with RTE instead of going through your same experience by purchasing TF HD.

Now I just need to vet somebody who has thrown on the RTE and hear it's pros cons. (I'm sure there's a thread here on that, right?)

Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I really like Terrafirma products. I have dozens of them on my rover. It's just the springs that have let me down.

The reasons you mentioned for wanting a lift don't really justify a lift. the only legitimate reason for a lift is to fit bigger tires that you couldn't fit otherwise. Sure, a lift gives you a teeny bit more clearance on the frame, but the axles are still where they are. If you're not sagging below stock right now, and your tires fit, why lift? If you want it for looks, and are willing to upgrade the other components too to keep it handling well, then go for it. You can buy all terrafirma products and do it for ~1,000$

KingKoopa brings up a good point... I'm surprised there haven't been more pioneers on the forum who have ventured outside of TF, OME, or RTE for springs. There has to be more springs on the market that are compatible...

Old 09-23-2017, 11:02 PM
6th Gear

Forgive my ignorance but I want clarification on that statement you made. So although I'll be adding 500+lbs of load to my stock Disco2, I do not need to install a medium duty or heavy duty suspension kit?

I am interested in adding bigger tires here soon, but my more immediate concern was overloading my stock suspension with all the extra weight of the add ons I'm about to install and as a result have a poorer ride quality. Will the 500+lbs load not effect my current stock ride ability? I thought the whole point of MD vs HD was to offset the added weight and provide better performance.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Ome springs aren't shorter, they are just softer on average than TF for any given "rating".

what this equates to is an OME HD spring being about the same stiffness as a TF MD spring. Which tends to mean that a TF HD springs result in a 3" nominal lift.

Yes you need stiffer springs. Your factory springs are mushy as hell, more so with all that weight. Decide, do you want bigger tires? If so, how big?

If you don't want bigger than stock tires, then you can get heavy rate springs in factory lengths. If you want bigger tires, 32" is about as big as you can go with a 2" lift.

If you want a 2" lift that won't sag prematurely and won't require expensive ancillary parts, buy OME HD springs and whatever shock you see fit and call it a day.

If that's too easy for you, you can go research all the different spring rates and coil lengths that you can find and have some springs made. But since just about every discovery in the world is running 1 of 3 or 4 sets off springs, you're probably better of just going with what's tried and true.
​​​​
since TF springs have a bad rap, RTE is out of your price range, and OME is known good stuff, you've got pretty much 2 choices. OME or custom/private label from across the pond.

Whatever you choose, you can supplement with spring isolators. They stack up like spacers and will compensate for any future sag or tilting.

Last edited by KingKoopa; 09-23-2017 at 11:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (03-21-2018)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 AM
6th Gear

Thanks, KingKoopa.

I appreciate that. I think I'll go with OME HD springs and I've actually been reading good things about the Fox shocks. Maybe do some mix and match there and give it a shot.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

This might be helpful re: coil heights and load ratings.
In IMHO, given the choice between TF or OME it's OME all day. My experience has been TF parts will bite you in the A$$... not a fan!

JUKE179r (03-21-2018)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by disco2life
-
So TF HD has a reputation of sagging (two guys on this thread have mentioned problems). and OME is too short? Not sure what that means as they advertise 2"...

I'd like to just go with the TF HD (Terrafirma Heavy Duty) and not fall victim to the sagging issue. But maybe that's too much to ask for.

Steel front and rear bumpers with winch, sliders, HD steering skid plate, HD gas tank skid plate, roof rack, custom storage in rear cargo space (shelves, boxes, etc).

Front: Terrafirma TF052 HD springs, TF118 HD shocks

Rear: Terrafirma TF027 HD springs, TF119 HD shocks

No sag, so far. 4,000 miles.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 09-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.
GoRoll (10-14-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie

Steel front and rear bumpers with winch, sliders, HD steering skid plate, HD gas tank skid plate, roof rack, custom storage in rear cargo space (shelves, boxes, etc).

Front: Terrafirma TF052 HD springs, TF118 HD shocks

Rear: Terrafirma TF027 HD springs, TF119 HD shocks

No sag, so far. 4,000 miles.
How does it ride? Any complaints on anything?

Old 10-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoRoll
How does it ride? Any complaints on anything?
Old thread, haha.

Truck rides great. Bigger tires and stiffer suspension make for a bit bumpier ride, and the extra weight up top causes a bit more body roll (also added a new BajaRack up top which is a bit heavier than the old one). I have quick disconnects on the front and rear anti-sway bars (visible in pics), and keep the bars connected about 99% of the time. Then again, it's not a 2020 HSE so a more truck-like ride is just fine with me. 2 years now on this setup, and still no complaints.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
Old thread, haha.

Truck rides great. Bigger tires and stiffer suspension make for a bit bumpier ride, and the extra weight up top causes a bit more body roll (also added a new BajaRack up top which is a bit heavier than the old one). I have quick disconnects on the front and rear anti-sway bars (visible in pics), and keep the bars connected about 99% of the time. Then again, it's not a 2020 HSE so a more truck-like ride is just fine with me. 2 years now on this setup, and still no complaints.
Thank you -

I just ordered me a set of FOX Shocks, OME Med Front and HD rear.

After reading all the TF HD that it sags after a year or so and shocks not being that good so i went to another route, even tho it was such a DEAL super cheap but everytime i read about FOX shocks that it was the best shocks they've ridden and OME springs. Only neg I read about OME is that it was only 1.5" lift but that can be fixed with a spacer.

Last edited by GoRoll; 10-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: weight specs for "heavy duty" terrafirma lift