Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Weird coolant issues/roached engine? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/weird-coolant-issues-roached-engine-55360/)

IDisco2 12-29-2012 07:54 AM

This is what stinks, I could probably do this myself but I just don't have the time so it's off to the indie shop I go

dnice 12-31-2012 11:06 PM

Good luck and keep us posted.

IDisco2 02-09-2013 08:23 PM

Quick update on my coolant issue. I put the Barrs Leak in, a 180 deg. thermostat, new coolant tank cap, new electric condenser fan, flushed the heater core, added an ultra-gauge - and no more coolant loss or overheating. Running 188 deg., no higher than 203 on long idle. Been fine since last post. Of course I've just masked the base problem, but for now I'm letting that sleeping dog lie and focus on another issue.
It's two-fold. I'm on borrowed time with my front ds as I just turned 90k,even though there's no angry birds or clicking. I'm feeling a vibration- like a cross between a vibe and a "tension" like I'm not in the right gear or overdrive. It's worse on cold days. I'm feeling 1st gear at 10mph, barely notice 2nd at 25mph, 3rd at 35mph and then nothing from there. From a cold start, I'm running 3k rpm at 65mph, then 15 min. later it will drop to 2500rpm. But it still feels like I'm not in 4th. I'm getting ready to do a seafoam treatment on the tranny followed by a filter/fluid change. Shifting wise,I'm hoping this solve the odd shifting. But what I'm feeling-the "tension vibration"- could this be the front ds? Or does this sound like a tranny issue?

dr. mordo 02-10-2013 01:19 AM

The odd shifting isn't a ds issue. I'd change the fluid and add the lucas additive. That will likely fix it.

The front ds needs to be rebuilt/replaced. You really don't want that to fail.

I would keep an eye on the water level, and otherwise drive the hell out of it. After I rebuilt the driveshaft.

IDisco2 02-10-2013 07:44 AM

I'm hoping the fluid/filter change will solve it. Which Lucas additive is that? Also, if that doesn't solve it, could it be a vacuum issue or maybe even an electrical cause? As for the "vibration-tension" feeling that I'm getting, could that be the tranny not performing properly, or is that my ds getting ready to ruin my life? I have seen the Tom Woods shaft on sale for $279,but read some posts saying that those are HD shafts meant for off roading. Anyone know (ballpark) how much to get it rebuilt? Or where to get a high quality shaft(I only want to do this once) without breaking me?

dr. mordo 02-10-2013 08:25 AM

From what I have read these trannies are very simple and rugged. (one of the resident experts will be better able to diagnose your problems than me) I haven't read of any solenoids that can have problems. I think a fluid change will likely solve your problem.

Lucas makes a transmission fluid additive that has magic properties. My buddy with a 1980 Celica had a slipping gear and the Lucas completely cured it years ago. It's a quart bottle that says transmission additive on it.

As for the vibration, I'd start with tire rebalancing. The driveshaft might cause a vibration, but in my experience with other vehicles you hear clanking noises when you shift in and out of gear when the ujoints go. I've experienced a few tranny problems in different vehicles, and vibration wasn't a symptom.

I don't think you can pay someone to rebuild your ds for cheaper than you can buy an aftermarket shaft and install it yourself or have it installed. And I wouldn't worry anout the quality of the aftermarket shafts. Many people run them for everyday use with no problems.

wkburns 02-10-2013 09:33 AM

My drive shaft caused vibration without the clunking noise often associated with the u-joints. I would still check tires first, but do not rule out the drive shaft due to lack of noise.