Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Weird Key fob Issue... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/weird-key-fob-issue-37620/)

Camdisco24 01-23-2011 10:47 PM

Weird Key fob Issue...

So I've been using the same key fob since I bought the truck in 07'... the unlock button has completely disappeared so I decided to switch to the spare key so I could actually unlock it using the fob again... The battery was dead in the spare so I switched it out and went to go test it...

It didn't work so I reopened the battery and I think I saw why... the manufacture date on the chip was 10/2002. My Disco was manufactured in 1999. The chip in the broken key fob matches up with the 1999 build date.

So I compared the keys side by side and they are different.
But heres the weird thing... both keys start my car.
Don't tell me every Land Rover key is the same...
Could it be that the dealer gave me the wrong pair of keys... or did the PO get a spare key made in 2002?

Honestly, I just want to make the fob work again, so is there any way to make a 2002 chip work on my 2000??

Camdisco24 01-24-2011 01:49 PM

BUMP.
Come on I know someone has input!!

dcarr1971 01-24-2011 02:07 PM

Did the 2nd key fob work when you bought the vehicle? It sounds like it must have been a replacement.

It could be dead altogether from just sitting around with a bad battery. I don't know that this would necessarily happen, but it did happen to an old key fob I had for a Subaru once...we never used it much, but eventually even a new battery wouldn't help revive the fob.

Camdisco24 01-24-2011 02:13 PM

The fob never worked since I bought the truck. Thats why I used the other key instead. I used the spare a couple times, and since it always started right up, I never thought that it could be a totally different key.

The light on the spare key lights up when I push lock or unlock, so it seems to be working, but for whatever reason, not sending a signal to my car.

hilltoppersx 01-24-2011 02:23 PM

sounds like a replacement was made in '02. they are a PITA. my guess is it has to be reprogrammed at the dealer.

Camdisco24 01-24-2011 02:26 PM

And im sure thats not a cheap thing to do...

I guess i'll have to keep unlocking in manually. haha, could have worse problems.

dcarr1971 01-24-2011 02:30 PM

Sounds like it could be the wrong fob then. From what I've read on the various forums, without the bar code it probably won't ever be able to to be programmed to work with your truck. (I'll defer to the experts on that.)

As for the both keys working in the ignition, just how different do they appear to be? If completely different, then I would guess that someone has modified the pins so that just about any key will work.

If only one works in the door, then this might not be a huge concern as the alarm system should still arm when you use the key to lock the truck. On the other hand, with all the threads we've seen where the alarm ecu goes nuts and immobilizes the truck b/c nobody has a fob, the door actuator dies, or the stars just lines up wrong, it might be smart to get a new 'spare' fob made...

Camdisco24 01-24-2011 03:21 PM

The main difference is the length of some of the lines on the key. The "original" key has much longer lines on it. The actual cut outs are pretty similar though, minus one area, but it very minor. Very well could just be a remake.

hilltoppersx 01-24-2011 03:30 PM

i think it costs around $75 to get it programmed at a stealer.

Spike555 01-24-2011 07:35 PM

You need the fob programmed by the stealer.
You cannot let the battery go dead or leave the battery out of the fob for more than 10? seconds or it will loose its program.