Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Weird tail light trouble (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/weird-tail-light-trouble-28300/)

jaystekan 01-18-2010 05:15 PM

Weird tail light trouble

Please help. I have a 99 disco. I am having some issues with my right taillight/brake light. The taillight works fine when the lights are on. Whenever I hit the brake, the left brake light comes on normally and taillight seems to operate normally as well. The problem is, when I hit the brakes, the right taillight goes out, and the right brake light doesn't come on, so the entire right side is dark. I have brake lights and taillights on the left side. So, driving along wth the lights on, I hit the brakes, left side-taillight stays on and the left brake light comes on. Right side- brake light does NOT come on and the right taillight goes out as well. Any suggestions?????

So: to put it short and simple....

Right side....Brake pedal NOT depressed... parking/taillight working normally.

Left side... brake pedal NOT depressed... parking/taillight working normally.

Right side... brake pedal IS depressed... parking/taillight & brake light working normally.

Left side... brake pedal IS depressed.... parking/taillight goes out, brake light inoperable.

herblatham 01-18-2010 06:00 PM

I read your post at least 7 times, before realizing i was just getting more confused each time i read it,lol. You say in the beginning you're having problems with the right tailight/brake light, but by the end your saying the left side doesn't come on?? lol

I don't know if this will help, but, my passenger side brake light would not come on when you had the parking lights on, but if you hit the brake it lit up. All I did was get a new bulb and it fixed it. Have you tried replacing the bulbs? May be something just as simple as that.

jaystekan 01-18-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by herblatham (Post 158574)
I read your post at least 7 times, before realizing i was just getting more confused each time i read it,lol. You say in the beginning you're having problems with the right tailight/brake light, but by the end your saying the left side doesn't come on?? lol

I don't know if this will help, but, my passenger side brake light would not come on when you had the parking lights on, but if you hit the brake it lit up. All I did was get a new bulb and it fixed it. Have you tried replacing the bulbs? May be something just as simple as that.

Thanks, I saw my errors and edited my post. My sincerest apologies, wife was making dinner and needed my help so i rushed, sorry. My right brake light is inoperable, whether the parking lights are on or not. Unfortunately in addition to my right side brake light being inoperable, the right side parking/tail light goes out when I hit the brakes.

herblatham 01-18-2010 08:37 PM

No worries man. So you had the exact opposite problem i had. And both the brake light and the light on the bumper on the driver side go out when you hit the brake? If both are going out, then i guess it might not be a simple bulb issue, but i would try replacing the bulb(s) first, if you haven't already

Mrmerlin 01-18-2010 10:58 PM

replace the bulbs

jaystekan 01-19-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 158619)
replace the bulbs

Ok, so I went to pep boys and got replacement bulbs for my tail/brake light. The computer said it was part #7506. I got bulb7506 home, and proceeded to repelace the bulbs. It turns out that the bulbs are the same size, yet had a bad fit in the little plastic circle thing that twists into the taillight assembly. I managed to get the bulb seated and it didn't work at all. I looked at the bulbs side by side and the original bulb was flatter on the bottom and had 2 contact points on the bottom of the bulb. The new bulb only had one contact point on the bottom and came to more of a point. Did I get the wrong bulb? Is there some modification I need to do to have the new bulb seat properly and work?

okdiscoguy 01-19-2010 11:09 AM

The 2 point bulb is your tail light and the single should be your brake light. The tail light has 2 filaments, one for regular driving, and one for the brakes. The other brake light is brakes only. Also, in 99 there was a D1 and a D2 the D1 may just be listed as an SD. might have given you bulbs for a D2. If you have a D1, check the bulb against one for a 98. I show a 7528 as being the correct bulb for the tail light.

jaystekan 01-19-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy (Post 158682)
The 2 point bulb is your tail light and the single should be your brake light. The tail light has 2 filaments, one for regular driving, and one for the brakes. The other brake light is brakes only. Also, in 99 there was a D1 and a D2 the D1 may just be listed as an SD. might have given you bulbs for a D2. If you have a D1, check the bulb against one for a 98. I show a 7528 as being the correct bulb for the tail light.

Thanks for the info. Guess I am off to the auto parts store yet again, lol. Hopefully this works!

Mrmerlin 01-19-2010 10:54 PM

if you have a doubt on the correct bulb , simply remove the side thats working and match them up

jaystekan 01-20-2010 10:20 AM

OK, so I replaced the bulb... The taillight turns on when i turn the headlights lights on. The brake lights work if the headlights are off. If the headlights are on, which in turn, turns on the parking lights, all is good until I hit the brakes. When I hit the brake with the headlights and taillights on, the taillight goes out and the brake light does NOT light up.