Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well the day has come....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well the day has come....

I have to replace my head gaskets. The coolant leaks coming from them are too much. So in addition to machining the head surface and checking the cylinder sleeves, what else should I do to the heads when I take them to the machine shop? A valve job? I just dont want to put it all back together and here some strange knocking noise. Other then the bolts for the intake, heads, and the head gasket kit itself, anything else I should do while I'm down there? I have to order the parts yet so I'll wait for any advice before then. I was thinking of using a digital camera to capture the job step by step. Well anyway, look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Well the day has come....

As a reminder, the truck is a 98 disco 1, with 72,000 miles.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Before you take it in, do a engine flush using 6 qts. of ATF to clean out the engine first.
As for other area to look at, new t/stat.
Where has the gasket been leaking, internally or externally?
Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the tech info pages at my site ---www.eurotekapg.com--- for details regarding the head gasket job. I have the whole kit that includes the head bolts (actually stretch bolts are used in these engines) for a very attractive price. There is a very specific process for torque application on the heads. You "index" them after an initial sequenced tightening to 15 ft./lbs.

And once they are used in the engine ---- you toss them. Also carefully inspect the threads in the engine block that are used to secure the heads. If any of them have damaged/pulled threads it will be impossible to get the right clamping force when you replace the gaskets, and you will most likely blow out the gasket(s) again.

And make sure you check the cylinder sleeves for slippage-- again explained on my site.

And check the cylinder wall finish ---looking for any sign of scoring.

Did the engine ever get real hot?

Not trying to spook you, by the way. I AM trying to give you a "heads-up" on the known issues that can arise.

Send me a PM and I'll walk you through the job. It is really rather straight-forward on your model year --- if you have the auto mechanics background.

Regards,

Geoman
Northern California

Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ya already replaced the tstat. Thanks for the tip Mike, will do. It's been leaking internally and ever since my fan incident has been progessing worse, so I have to do it. The only place where u can visually see the milkygoodness is under the oil cap and a little as it drips on the valve train. Nothin in the dipstick or anything. but its time.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ya the engine got really hot. I was unaware of it until I glanced down and nearly wet my pants. I have read your tech page and find it quite useful. I actually have experience in auto mechanics and a degree in it so I feel pretty comfortable with the head job. Not to familiar though with machine shop work and just wondering what I can do to the heads without any adverse effects. Just need to know what to tell them what to do other then resurface them. If the cylinder sleeves have misplaced what would I know now to tell that that have? I'm assuming a lot more coolant in the engine oil then present, therefore I doubt very much they have, I really believe this is limited to a blown gasket or warped head. The amount of water in my engine block amounts to just some precipitation under the oil cap. The dip stick looks fine. I also changed the oil once after it overheated and it came out as only oil, no milkyness. But it bothers me so I'm gonna do it. Anyway thanks again for the help guys. I'll check your site for parts as well geoman - thanks again!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

One other thing, I had Lucas oil stabilizer in it during this whole ordeal. I'd like to think it has helped out in some small way. [>:]