Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   what is the best product to use on my fender flairs?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/what-best-product-use-my-fender-flairs-38162/)

DreamRover 02-10-2011 12:03 PM

what is the best product to use on my fender flairs??

hey guys, i am new to the forum and a proud brand new owner of a 2002 disco Westminister. A common issue that I have been seeing is the graying/fading of the top sides of the wheel fender flairs. it seems like they are just a painted plastic...

I went to Schucks Auto/ O'Reillies, and they recommended this stuff called Meguiar's GoldClass Endurance (long lasting, high gloss) Tire gel. the Stuff is a very thick viscus gel, that is kinda greasy. I tried the gel and it made the flairs sorta shiny and black again, but I am worried that, over time, the flairs will fade and dry out even more. And I am not confident that this product is the ideal fit. Under the WARNINGS, it says not to apply to painted or vinyl surfaces... I read that after!

I know that most Disco owners have in the past dealt with, or probably still deal with this issue.

Please help if you have found a good way to mask the graying, and also if you have knowledge of longterm restoration: ie. repainting/resurfacing the fender flares.

Thanks again guys!
DreamRover
2002 Disco Westminister (black on black) - 66k

p.s. Why am I blocked from so many areas of this forum site? every time I attempt to view photos or certain threads, I am blocked, and get a message saying that I don't have approved access.

RAYMAN975 02-10-2011 12:07 PM

i masked off my flares real well, sanded them with 120 i think, wiped them down with a wax/grease remover, and attempted to paint them with black trim paint, but even though i sanded them really nicely, the pits/faded areas still showed through, so i let that dry, and painted with Duplicolor bedliner in the can, turned out GREAT, i love how it looks. doesnt look tacky at all, looks real nice. ill check to see if i have a picture

DreamRover 02-10-2011 12:18 PM

thanks for the help RAYMAN. I'd like to see a photo when you find it!

LundRover 02-10-2011 12:21 PM

I can't find my bottle, but i have had success with back to black on other cars.

jhewitt1111 02-10-2011 12:21 PM

I second on the photo. I have been kicking that around myself. As well as a few other places.

Snafu / Disco Fries 02-10-2011 12:22 PM

Black Wow is very nice. I had a Saab convertible this summer as an extra car and the trim (lots of it) was TERRIBLE. This brought it back to original looking, and kept it that way for months. Don't use tire dressing or anything like that. It it greasy, and will rub off on you and your cloths. Also, it will leave streaks of oil down the car after a while when it rains. This stuff is not too cheap but a little does go a long way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYbPIE7GrE

DiscoIIBrandon 02-10-2011 12:24 PM

Use "search" function

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ghlight=fender

That is a thread with how-to (I believe it is in the stickies) and many pictures of of guys flares after using many different products.

Forrest 02-10-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DreamRover (Post 225903)
hey guys, i am new to the forum and a proud brand new owner of a 2002 disco Westminister. A common issue that I have been seeing is the graying/fading of the top sides of the wheel fender flairs. it seems like they are just a painted plastic...

I went to Schucks Auto/ O'Reillies, and they recommended this stuff called Meguiar's GoldClass Endurance (long lasting, high gloss) Tire gel. the Stuff is a very thick viscus gel, that is kinda greasy. I tried the gel and it made the flairs sorta shiny and black again, but I am worried that, over time, the flairs will fade and dry out even more. And I am not confident that this product is the ideal fit. Under the WARNINGS, it says not to apply to painted or vinyl surfaces... I read that after!

I know that most Disco owners have in the past dealt with, or probably still deal with this issue.

Please help if you have found a good way to mask the graying, and also if you have knowledge of longterm restoration: ie. repainting/resurfacing the fender flares.

Thanks again guys!
DreamRover
2002 Disco Westminister (black on black) - 66k

p.s. Why am I blocked from so many areas of this forum site? every time I attempt to view photos or certain threads, I am blocked, and get a message saying that I don't have approved access.

Hey,
I took mine off (took my time and a good hard plastic pry-bar) cleaned real good, and painted them. At first I liked the way the Disco looked with them off but after I put the side steps on I had to re-install them because they were part of where the side steps attached. Anyway, I put them back on using two-sided tape (3M from NAPA) and they look like new again (that was about three years ago).
About the being blocked, I'd guess it's because you either don't have enough post or you haven't donated......don't know for sure.
Good luck,

DreamRover 02-10-2011 12:34 PM

hey guys! thanks for all the help so far, great ideas and comments!!

I am still blocked out from most of the site... I will try to find that thread that you mentioned Brandon.

thanks again

DiscoIIBrandon 02-10-2011 12:37 PM

You can't click the link?
Hah, I believe you need 5 posts...so quick, make 2 more!