Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery intermittent noise between 25 and 35 mph.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mystery intermittent noise between 25 and 35 mph.

Hello all,

I've got a mystery noise that I can't figure out what it is.
Here's what I can tell you:

1. The sound seems to coming from the left (drivers side) front quadrant

2. Only happens between 25 and 35 mph.

3. The sound is most noticable at the 25 and 35 mph thresholds (accelerating and decelerating).

4. Noise sounds like a muffled "rumble strip" that lasts between less than a second and a few seconds.

5. Noise is of low enough volume, that it would drowned out by the noise of the heater fan or radio if not paying attention. Noise not immediately obvious to passengers unless pointed out to them etc.

6. The sound happens intermittently but repeatedly. It is not constant.

7. There is no vibration felt. (at least not that I can feel from the drivers seat etc)

8. Happens whether or not vehicle is accelerating or decelerating.

9. Makes noise regardless of whether I'm coasting, braking, or pressing the accelerator.

10. Makes noise regardless of whether the transmission is in gear or coasting in neutral.

11. I've looked unnderneath for anything really obvious but I'm obviously limited by my own limited experience and expertise. (a good manual is never a substitute for expertise gained by hands on experience etc (no matter how smart I think I am etc))

12. Steering/turning, and going up or down hill make no difference and have no impact to frequency or quility of the noise.

13. Noise happened before and after new tires. new tires different type than the old one. same noise etc.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, advice, counseling, etc etc etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

ABS sensor?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it from inside the cabin or under the truck?
I'm not sure what a rumble strip sounds like, but maybe that ambient air temperature sensor inside the dash.
Its a little fan (behind those slots) next to the dimmer rheostat (for controlling the brightness of the interior lights).
You can open the access panel, and stick your finger in the fan or some other small object. Its not spinning fast so it won't hurt you.

Mine makes this annoying ticking sound..

Just a suggestion

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Mudding

a rumble strip are the ridges that they sometimes put on the side of the road, or before you get to a pay toll, to wake you up. When your tires go over them they make a noise and makes the whole car vibrate.

the noise is coming from under the truck...

how would I check the ABS sensor? just see if it's loose?

Thanks for the suggestions so far....

THX,

Thomas

Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Default anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Originally Posted by twaszak
a rumble strip are the ridges that they sometimes put on the side of the road, or before you get to a pay toll, to wake you up. When your tires go over them they make a noise and makes the whole car vibrate.

the noise is coming from under the truck...

how would I check the ABS sensor? just see if it's loose?

Thanks for the suggestions so far....

THX,

Thomas
Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you have SAI system? If so perhaps one of those valves. Could unplug SAI wiring to test, might set codes.

ABS sensor is part of the wheel hub. Not sure how it might work itself into contact with the sensor ring.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Mudding

I don't have Secondary Air Injection / SAI....

I don't know much about how they test wheel alignment in a shop etc.
I'm really spit-balling here, but I'm picturing they put all four wheels on rollers and run the vehicle at a moderate speed to test and adjust etc.
If that's the case, I wonder if listening while standing next to the vehicle, while they're running it on the rollers, might help isolate/locate the source of the noise?

Sanity check please....

Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Default sanity check please

Originally Posted by twaszak
I don't have Secondary Air Injection / SAI....

I don't know much about how they test wheel alignment in a shop etc.
I'm really spit-balling here, but I'm picturing they put all four wheels on rollers and run the vehicle at a moderate speed to test and adjust etc.
If that's the case, I wonder if listening while standing next to the vehicle, while they're running it on the rollers, might help isolate/locate the source of the noise?

Sanity check please....
am I off my rocker with the above idea?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact that it doesn't change with acceleration, coasting and such and only happens at that mph is a head scratcher. Any way to put a camera on the dash/floor/seat to capture it so we could hear?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alignment process does not use rollers and does not require the vehicle to run at all. Targets are mounted to each wheel and cameras pick up these targets. The targets have precise geometric reflective shapes imprinted on them which the cameras track the position of. All of this is done on a rack after initial calibration (runout compensation and caster swing).

Quick Reply: mystery intermittent noise between 25 and 35 mph.