Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Spent the afternoon (yesterday) at the junk yard... found all kinds of goodies. Pulled a set of 04' roof rails, 2 center console cup holders (and half of a third one in case I ever come across the other half), horn buttons, visor clips, headliner clips (that hold the headliner to the roof in the cargo area), rain gutter rails (mine were damaged after installing a D1 rack on my D2. had it on there for about 7 years), extra set of lug nuts, an interior fuse box with all fuses/relays, front door window trim, extra pollen filter clips, passenger side arm rest that looks brand new (still looking for a good driver's side one to match), a set of rubber rear seat floor mats, a bunch of misc screws/fasteners in case I'm ever in need and probably some other things that I'm not remembering at the moment. Still looking for a good front windshield cowl, but thinking I'm going to have to find another source for a used one as I just can not justify what they are selling these big pieces of plastic for new. It was a hot and muggy afternoon, but all in all a good times at the junk yard!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my cheap-o Amazon light bar installed last night... 40" just barely squeaks in between the 04 rails. Used the empty ACE relay and fuse in the under hood fusebox along with a factory aux light switch. Light output is excellent to say the least.
Name:  E258307A-95B0-4880-B62D-444CAA75DAAA_zpsal6xorqe.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  90.1 KB

I added some weather-pack style connectors
Name:  D0BF6786-D0C8-47B0-A563-DEC0C83EDABB_zpsjudmy0yf.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  89.2 KB

My other 04 came with this switch but it was a right side binnacle switch, so Im dealing with it being upside-down for now so I can have all my light switches on one side. The fuel door switch wiring is just long enough to reach the other side of the binnacle. Also upside-down though...
Name:  A9B56521-B485-4ACA-A408-A31497FAE66E_zpsiycwbqco.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  102.1 KB

Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

^get a hood blackout ASAP

Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Mudding

I was planning on it but I drove with the light on last night and didnt get any glare? The bar is pointing a few degrees downward too...

Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Last few days my d2 let me explore/drive Poughkeepsie gulch, black bear pass, cinnamon pass, engineer pass, Yankee boy, governor basin, Imogene pass, eureka gulch, hurricane, California pass, corkscrew pass, alpine wellness pass, blue lakes, and many other areas. Visited ouray, silverton, lake city, motrose, and a bunch of little ghost town abandoned mines. Stayed in mountain village, it is the ski resort town area of telluride. Saw a bear, a lot of elk, many a beaver, and beautiful mountain wild flowers. The truck took me fly fishing, kayaking, mountain biking, and hiking. My girls, each, got to catch their first trout and see a bear in the wild.
Driving, I liked Poughkeepsie, black bear then Yankee boy, in that order. Did Poughkeepsie and black bear twice. I think Yankee boy was exciting because it was raining on the single track slick rock and it was already pretty narrow. Poughkeepsie had a couple of fun spots and black bear, while not technically challenging, had the white knuckle effect on the blind steep grades…..that was fun.
All of the trails had something to see. Water crossings flanked by picturesque waterfalls, over looks of valley towns, abandoned mines, amazing vegetation, wild life, to name a few. The most scenic trails, imo, was first Imogene pass. It was crowded with tours, but had pass by areas. The summit between telluride and ouray was 13.5k and the trail had amazing views. Ouray, itself, is a beautiful town. Nestled tightly between the mountains, that lush backdrop would make even a ghetto look delightful. Black bear, drops down to telluride alongside Bridal Veil Falls. Amazing, views of both the water falls and the beautiful town of telluride. The falls are accessible from below, as well as, atop from black bear. The trail, from the town direction, is a good hike, bike, or drive, in any vehicle (your ground effects will survive) So there is no excuse to miss the beauty.
We took a neat detour on the return journey. Visited some off road trails, led by a couple of locals, on ktms, near bloomfield NM. Met them at a gas station. From there we ended up near Alamogordo. So, of course, I had to go see the trinity testing site. Then we ventured over to the white sands missile testing monument. Very cool. We went sand sledding, on what was a desert oasis minus the cool watering hole. Amazing time, never the less. today,on the road back to Dallas.

Last edited by dusty1; 08-12-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I envy you greatly, nothing like that around here just abandoned telephone corridors.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-13-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Now that's what I call a good adventure trip. Real sights and sounds in the wild. Magic, pure magic, I also envy you Dusty. The girls will never forget their trip - they are very lucky. It certainly beats watching the TV and playing with a games console like so many kids do.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I beat the hell out of it at VOT all last week.
Name:  wiZc4Bf.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  968.7 KB
Name:  HiN339I.jpg
Size:  936.4 KB
Name:  uqtlGd8.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  1.29 MB
Name:  1r5gZTf.jpg
Size:  415.9 KB
Name:  5tVxeUi.jpg
Size:  839.3 KB
Name:  P9Kmcvz.jpg
Size:  899.3 KB
Name:  zUa2m1q.jpg
Size:  914.6 KB

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Last few days my d2 let me explore/drive Poughkeepsie gulch, black bear pass, cinnamon pass, engineer pass, Yankee boy, governor basin, Imogene pass, eureka gulch, hurricane, California pass, corkscrew pass, alpine wellness pass, blue lakes, and many other areas. Visited ouray, silverton, lake city, motrose, and a bunch of little ghost town abandoned mines. Stayed in mountain village, it is the ski resort town area of telluride. Saw a bear, a lot of elk, many a beaver, and beautiful mountain wild flowers. The truck took me fly fishing, kayaking, mountain biking, and hiking. My girls, each, got to catch their first trout and see a bear in the wild. Driving, I liked Poughkeepsie, black bear then Yankee boy, in that order. Did Poughkeepsie and black bear twice. I think Yankee boy was exciting because it was raining on the single track slick rock and it was already pretty narrow. Poughkeepsie had a couple of fun spots and black bear, while not technically challenging, had the white knuckle effect on the blind steep grades…..that was fun. All of the trails had something to see. Water crossings flanked by picturesque waterfalls, over looks of valley towns, abandoned mines, amazing vegetation, wild life, to name a few. The most scenic trails, imo, was first Imogene pass. It was crowded with tours, but had pass by areas. The summit between telluride and ouray was 13.5k and the trail had amazing views. Ouray, itself, is a beautiful town. Nestled tightly between the mountains, that lush backdrop would make even a ghetto look delightful. Black bear, drops down to telluride alongside Bridal Veil Falls. Amazing, views of both the water falls and the beautiful town of telluride. The falls are accessible from below, as well as, atop from black bear. The trail, from the town direction, is a good hike, bike, or drive, in any vehicle (your ground effects will survive) So there is no excuse to miss the beauty. We took a neat detour on the return journey. Visited some off road trails, led by a couple of locals, on ktms, near bloomfield NM. Met them at a gas station. From there we ended up near Alamogordo. So, of course, I had to go see the trinity testing site. Then we ventured over to the white sands missile testing monument. Very cool. We went sand sledding, on what was a desert oasis minus the cool watering hole. Amazing time, never the less. today,on the road back to Dallas.
I love that area of Colorado. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I can still picture a lot of the places you mentioned. Even took a tour of some of those passes. A friend of my step-father had a jeep rental place when we were there. He took us on an all day trip up into the mountains and went through several of those passes... although we did not take the trail over to Telluride, we went the long way around.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dusty1
Last few days my d2 let me explore/drive Poughkeepsie gulch, black bear pass, cinnamon pass, engineer pass, Yankee boy, governor basin, Imogene pass, eureka gulch, hurricane, California pass, corkscrew pass, alpine wellness pass, blue lakes, and many other areas. Visited ouray, silverton, lake city, motrose, and a bunch of little ghost town abandoned mines. Stayed in mountain village, it is the ski resort town area of telluride. Saw a bear, a lot of elk, many a beaver, and beautiful mountain wild flowers. The truck took me fly fishing, kayaking, mountain biking, and hiking. My girls, each, got to catch their first trout and see a bear in the wild.
Driving, I liked Poughkeepsie, black bear then Yankee boy, in that order. Did Poughkeepsie and black bear twice. I think Yankee boy was exciting because it was raining on the single track slick rock and it was already pretty narrow. Poughkeepsie had a couple of fun spots and black bear, while not technically challenging, had the white knuckle effect on the blind steep grades…..that was fun.
All of the trails had something to see. Water crossings flanked by picturesque waterfalls, over looks of valley towns, abandoned mines, amazing vegetation, wild life, to name a few. The most scenic trails, imo, was first Imogene pass. It was crowded with tours, but had pass by areas. The summit between telluride and ouray was 13.5k and the trail had amazing views. Ouray, itself, is a beautiful town. Nestled tightly between the mountains, that lush backdrop would make even a ghetto look delightful. Black bear, drops down to telluride alongside Bridal Veil Falls. Amazing, views of both the water falls and the beautiful town of telluride. The falls are accessible from below, as well as, atop from black bear. The trail, from the town direction, is a good hike, bike, or drive, in any vehicle (your ground effects will survive) So there is no excuse to miss the beauty.
We took a neat detour on the return journey. Visited some off road trails, led by a couple of locals, on ktms, near bloomfield NM. Met them at a gas station. From there we ended up near Alamogordo. So, of course, I had to go see the trinity testing site. Then we ventured over to the white sands missile testing monument. Very cool. We went sand sledding, on what was a desert oasis minus the cool watering hole. Amazing time, never the less. today,on the road back to Dallas.
Outstanding! I have not been up that way in @ least a decade. Take any photos?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?