Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
Default New headliner

Did my Headliner, as well as sunroof sealing, new roof rails and wiring for cameras and antennas.
Headliner is a bit different, and I wish I would've had a second pair of hands to keep it stretched better. But I like it for now, can always change it later if I get tired of it. I liked the color and pattern, decided to give it a try. It's from Spoonflower, printed on 62" wide, four way stretch material. It's my first time working with fabric, and my old mechanic hands couldn't figure out how to keep all the wrinkles out, but other than that, it went on easy enough.

Cosmos pattern headliner, from Spoonflower. Re-netted the cargo and painted some of the higher up plastics. May go ahead and do the handles and lights later, work in progress kinda thing...

'03 extended roof rails on my '04 D2. For carrying my Kayak

The following 6 users liked this post by Mntnceguy:
ivbyiv (05-25-2022), Jagman78* (06-16-2022), Richard Gallant (05-24-2022), T-rex (05-22-2022), TimInNova (05-24-2022), whowa004 (05-23-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Committed murder X3... (By which I mean, I killed the three amigos ready for MoT test tomorrow!). +1 to whoever it was whom discovered (pun intended) the Autel AL619 works for reading/clearing ABS/HDC codes on the DII, £91 well spent IMO since it's cleared the old wheel sensor code from the Disco & also got into the SRS on our 2000 VW Golf and dealt with a code I'd inadvertently set while repairing under-dash wiring on that.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

I was searching for an exhaust/vacuum leak but apparently, I also had a broken ignition wire so when I pulled on the #4 wire, it ripped off. Guess I won't be going on a trip this weekend but instead will be replacing wires and coils. What a bummer!

Old 05-24-2022, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
Did my Headliner, as well as sunroof sealing, new roof rails and wiring for cameras and antennas.
Headliner is a bit different, and I wish I would've had a second pair of hands to keep it stretched better. But I like it for now, can always change it later if I get tired of it. I liked the color and pattern, decided to give it a try. It's from Spoonflower, printed on 62" wide, four way stretch material. It's my first time working with fabric, and my old mechanic hands couldn't figure out how to keep all the wrinkles out, but other than that, it went on easy enough.

Cosmos pattern headliner, from Spoonflower. Re-netted the cargo and painted some of the higher up plastics. May go ahead and do the handles and lights later, work in progress kinda thing...
'03 extended roof rails on my '04 D2. For carrying my Kayak
Love it! I went with a jungle/safari motif:

The following 3 users liked this post by TimInNova:
ivbyiv (05-25-2022), Mntnceguy (05-24-2022), Richard Gallant (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,175 Likes on 812 Posts

Nothing exciting, pulled the spare, cleaned up the surface rust on the mount and repainted. Painted the backside of the rim,where it hits the mount to reduce corrosion and lubricated and cleaned up the studs and wheel nuts.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by andino
I was searching for an exhaust/vacuum leak but apparently, I also had a broken ignition wire so when I pulled on the #4 wire, it ripped off. Guess I won't be going on a trip this weekend but instead will be replacing wires and coils. What a bummer!
Hey andino, don't despair (yet)! I had a similar problem a few years ago. I performed a field repair by cutting back the insulation on the plug wire and "reconstructing" its connection inside the boot. It worked fine for several months at least until I replaced the ignition cables. This many years later I don't recall just what I did and how I did it, but if you're somewhat handy and look carefully at what the situation presents you may be able to figure out a solution. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by mln01; 05-24-2022 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andino (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,501 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Relatively easy to repair. Use some WD-40 to lube the wire and boot and shove the boot on the wire up about 3". Dig the broken wire out of the metal terminal and spread it a bit at the part where the wire goes in. Strip the insulation back from the core, fold the core back on the wire. Get a piece of stainless wire about 1-1/2" long, shove 3/4" in the center next to the core, fold the other 3/4" back with the core. Crimp the terminal on the wire with the folded back stainless and core. Lube the wire again and slide the boot back down over the terminal.

The following users liked this post:
andino (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Yeah, like Extinct said. I did something like that. The point is, a field repair can likely be done successfully.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Got to love when your local garage gets a new tester on the books.... NOT!

Took the Disco for it's MoT earlier, and said new chap (I would've given him a dirty look but he already had a doozy of one) drove it into the test bay, lifted it up & promptly brought it down again and backed it out of the shop. He's refused to test it because the chassis was "too dirty, so I cant tell if there's corrosion"... What an absolute F*$%ing pansy, it's cleaner than last year's test (because it's been out of use for 6 months & I've just got done replacing all the brake lines amongst other stuff under there) & besides if a tester suspects corrosion he's allowed the use of certain tools in order to verify.

Ah well, steam cleaning will be a good opportunity to get some fresh underseal on the more exposed bits... Hang on, will it then be impossible to test because it's too shiny?

Old 05-25-2022, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Relatively easy to repair. Use some WD-40 to lube the wire and boot and shove the boot on the wire up about 3". Dig the broken wire out of the metal terminal and spread it a bit at the part where the wire goes in. Strip the insulation back from the core, fold the core back on the wire. Get a piece of stainless wire about 1-1/2" long, shove 3/4" in the center next to the core, fold the other 3/4" back with the core. Crimp the terminal on the wire with the folded back stainless and core. Lube the wire again and slide the boot back down over the terminal.
Originally Posted by mln01
Hey andino, don't despair (yet)! I had a similar problem a few years ago. I performed a field repair by cutting back the insulation on the plug wire and "reconstructing" its connection inside the boot. It worked fine for several months at least until I replaced the ignition cables. This many years later I don't recall just what I did and how I did it, but if you're somewhat handy and look carefully at what the situation presents you may be able to figure out a solution. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the tip! Going to try repairing the broken wire today. You can tell I've never had a car/truck with wires before huh? I didn't even think to try pulling the boot back to see if I could recrimp the wire.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?