Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need?

Ok guys I'm opening up my engine this weekend for a head gasket job on my 2002 4.0 D2. I'm also replacing the valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, and oil pan gasket. I've also ordered a new water pump and gasket. I've been able to tackle everything on my Rover so far so I'm feeling confident that me and a buddy can do this if we take our time. I have the rave manual and I've done a lot of research but I need to know what are all of the small things I'll need for this job. Obviously I'll need new oil and filter and I'm going to flush and change the coolant but I know there are some other things. Grease of some kind? Extra oil? Cleaning solutions? I'm doing this at a self service shop on a military base so I will have any tool I may need and I'll be in a good work space. I have to provide my own parts and fluids though. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. I'm a little nervous but I'm no dummy and I can follow directions as good as anyone.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Assembly lube for the reassembly of the camshafts and pushrods (and remember to reinstall all the rods in the same positions they came from.) You'll need some kind of engine degreaser to clean inside the rocker covers and get the gunk off the inside and outside of the heads. Change the coils, spark plugs and wires while you have everything apart and it's easier to get to. Nitrile gloves. Copper gasket spray. RTV sealant for the corners of the lower manifold valley gasket.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

If you are going that deep and will have the oil pan off, you should do the front cover/timing cover.

atlantic British sells a kit for it, pull that up on your computer and call Lucky8 and walk through the kit with them. They will beat the price significantly.

towels, brushes, cement mixing tub, and gasoline. Best parts degreaser.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by thensley723
Ok guys I'm opening up my engine this weekend for a head gasket job on my 2002 4.0 D2. I'm also replacing the valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, and oil pan gasket. I've also ordered a new water pump and gasket. I've been able to tackle everything on my Rover so far so I'm feeling confident that me and a buddy can do this if we take our time. I have the rave manual and I've done a lot of research but I need to know what are all of the small things I'll need for this job. Obviously I'll need new oil and filter and I'm going to flush and change the coolant but I know there are some other things. Grease of some kind? Extra oil? Cleaning solutions? I'm doing this at a self service shop on a military base so I will have any tool I may need and I'll be in a good work space. I have to provide my own parts and fluids though. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. I'm a little nervous but I'm no dummy and I can follow directions as good as anyone.
x2 on what the other guys have said. Did my hg job a couple of weekends ago. 5/8 impact swivel socket and breaker bar for head bolts. A few small brass brushes for degreasing. To my surprise, Carb cleaner worked better for degreasing and shine than brake cleaner. Take your time, be organized, keep things in order and put bolts in labelled baggies near their parts. Hold off on beers til the end of the day. Have some fun, good luck, post with questions.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

Oven cleaner actually works really well for cleaning the valves (speaking of which, you will need valve grinding paste if you're going to lap the valves, which you should do unless you have a proper three-angle grind done).
You can use oven cleaner on the heads too, to loosen up some of the really sludgy gunk, but don't let it sit for too long or it will start to eat away at the metal. Try to keep it away from the camshaft journals and the mating surface for this reason.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Pay attention to the holes on the rockers. Get down there and actually look for them. Poke and clean them. Soak them if you have too. Sometimes this is the reason for the tick.

If you get stuck, refer to this thread and post your problem...someone will be along and don't get frustrated, its really not hard.

One thing I did, and I am happy that I did, I coated my engine surface with http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/865864.jpg

It helps fill in any blemish. I have over 200,000 on my rover now. I used it on the head, intake, upper and lower.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Get the arp studs if you can. Worth every penny. You need to send the heads out to get reworked. Follow the dissasembly and assembly procedure properly. It's not a hard task just a pia and you will do some good cussing. Here is a link to a guy who did it with some great pictures if that will help but no need to remove the hood. Engine Refresh (top end) | PaulP38A.com get some spray gasket remover and scotchbrite pads. You are working on aluminum so don't use any metal razor blades or putty knives. Replace your thermostat while you are doing your water pump and it's also a good idea to replace your viscous clutch at the same time. Below is a screen shot of cross reference part numbers for the sealants the rave manual calls for.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Forgot to ask what base you were at BC I'm sure somebody around here is close.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Forgot to ask what base you were at BC I'm sure somebody around here is close.
im at ft hood. I have a friend helping that has done several head gasket jobs on different vehicles, just not a Landy.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by thensley723
im at ft hood. I have a friend helping that has done several head gasket jobs on different vehicles, just not a Landy.
not that different at all. Hell its just a Buick engine

Quick Reply: What do I need?