Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?

Hi guys and gals,

I am entertaining the idea of replacing the engine in my beloved 2002 DII. If I were to order a long block from Turner, along with the oil pump and front cover, what other bits and bobs do you recommend I replace at the same time and is there a supplier that you prefer for quality parts? I would like to get this done right to keep Bertha on the road for years to come. Hoping for no leaks for awhile.

This is what I've thought of thus far:
Cooling: switch thermostat to 180 degree - I've heard complaints about some lately.. any certain brand to look for? I've never had my radiator replaced.. how many miles do you guys have on your original radiator?

Power steering pump: my current power steering pump was rebuilt in 2013 but it was quite far gone and still whines.

Spark plugs: Have read good things about STI and Champion. Which do you prefer?

O2 sensors? They've never been replaced - I'm assuming this should be done?...

Anything else? I'm assuming it being a long block engine most everything would be supplied. Someone made a comment to me that the top end could have an issue right now. What else could be an issue?...am I too naïve after reading posts for 7 years?

Atlantic British lists out every part that is included in the long block you can purchase from them. Turner doesn't really do this but I'm sure would answer any questions that I may have. Just curious if I order from Turner if I'm being supplied with everything I need.

Seeing as it appears that no one can diagnose what is currently the problem with my Rover (see my other thread) it is most likely I will invest in having a new engine put in to keep her on the road. Either that or I'll rip into her myself but after reading about one of the forum members having an 'explosion' under his hood, I may give that a pass haha.

Thanks for your input!
Christina

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The britpart 180 tstat is good. Part #PEL500110
8mm STI wires are good. Most people here run the NGK BKR6EGP plugs it seems.
Do Best4x4s pcv mod while you have good access

KernowDiscovery (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I would never run anything other than the bypass stat - I have tried all the factory style and they are all crap in my opinion. Depending on miles your might want to consider starter and CPS. They both go out around 180k

Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 245 Likes on 197 Posts

you might want to consider a new radiator while you have it all apart. the plastic bits, both internal and external, will be starting to crumble and disintegrate on the factory radiator.

ebay has some inexpensive options.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

KD, IMHO ask the mechanics what they think. I have my own theories, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' In all honesty just do what is necessary or you'll end up spending lots of $$$$$.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:15 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Unless you have a bunch of money just replace the basics
plugs Tstat wires and monitor that engine with ultra gauge or something that is most important

everyhing else replace while it breaks

rock auto has good deals on parts such as coil packs Cps sensor etc Bosch too

I had a 04 disco previous owner had a long block from Atlantic British put in
besides coil packs my wife drove it for 4 years no issues

Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

It really depends on your service history.

Might as well do the PS Pump.

Coilpacks, plugs, wires are a goo idea as long it’s apart.

Cooling system, Tstat, Bottle and hoses.

Give the top end a good cleaning inside and out. I dipped and coated the exhaust manifold with Eastwood manifold coating. Looks good actually.

You’re getting a long block right?

Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Normally, l'm cut from the same cloth as ORFrance..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...and this process normally works 9 times out of 10. Granted, you use common sense...when it comes to items that are known to fail or items that look worn. However, it's that 1 time out of the 10 that causes you considerable grief...when none of the common sense issues are the ones that bite you in the butt.

Me, since this is Bertha and there seems to be an affectionately formed bond here...l'd go "all in" and replace anything in the engine compartment that is known to wearout with age. Every coolant hose, waterpump, belts, injectors, radiator, both motor mounts (these were broken on our 03), spark plugs/wires/coil packs and change all fluids (axles, transfer, trans, brake, power steering) Might be more, but you get the picture. Now, if some of what I've mentioned has already been done...disregard.

Yes, you'll probably have a hefty bill...when it is all said and done...but you'll "most likely" have a rover that will give you another 10/15 years of service. Me, l like an older vehicle to cost me no more than $1,000.00 a year in repair/maintenance costs. So, if you put $10K into Bertha and you get 10/15 years out of her...then add in normal wear items Iike tires and brakes...you'll be in the ball park...and be driving the rover of your dreams.

And, do you want to blow a twenty dollar hose...and take the chance of toasting your investment. Protect your investments the best you can.

One other thing, while l'm rambling on...when and if you get this done...Do Not Assume You Never Have To Look Under The Hood Again! Actually, the first few days after receiving your rover back are the most crucial. Believe it or not...us mechanic's miss or forget stuff...unfortunately, it comes along with being human (granted, according to others...this should never, ever happen...and you know it never happens to these perfect folks in their profession...lol).

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-25-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling, of course...
The following 3 users liked this post by The Deputy:
CollieRover (08-25-2018), Jason_B (08-25-2018), KernowDiscovery (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I did a new flex plate, belt, tensioners, pulleys, cooling system, radiator, thermostat, coil packs, plugs, wires, temp sensors, and cps. I had my original starter go out less than a year later. Looking back, I'd do a new starter as well. It's $100 and easy to do.

The following 3 users liked this post by dtmbinb:
CollieRover (08-25-2018), Jason_B (08-26-2018), KernowDiscovery (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Weird.. I wasn't able to use the 'thank you' button with everyone that responded so I'll say it now - thank you

Yes..would go with long block.
Hadn't thought of coil packs - good idea.
Motor mounts - hadn't even thought of that Brian.. thank you!
Ultragauge.. will definitely look into that.
Will purchase new radiator, power steering pump, viscous clutch again (replaced five years ago) water pump and will have entire cooling system replaced.
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what a flex plate is I'll dig out the Rave and study it prior to picking this stuff up.

I'll probably just buy the parts online (using your recommendations, thank you) and supply them to the mechanic who will swap out the engine.

I think this is going to be a year long project and some dough. I'm excited though - is that strange? The thought of being able to drive her home and not have any drips on the driveway for awhile will be refreshing to say the least. No, I don't have a lot of cash to burn but I would like to keep Bertha for as long as possible and keep her running right. Ten to 15 more years would be divine. I love her simplicity. Her finicky ways drive me crazy but I love the head room and view, I like how I sit up higher, and how safe I feel when she gets me through every storm in the winter. My dentist surprised me this past June and said 'I know when you're here because your vehicle is different. When I see it out in the parking lot I say 'oh hey... Christina is here''. I like that.. is that weird? I like it when a complete stranger asks me in the store 'are you the one that owns the Blue Discovery on the Peninsula? - I see you all the time'. I love the conversations she starts at gas stations. I love that she still has a tape deck. I love the fact that I can go almost anywhere.. down 2 track roads, through the woods and swamp at the family cottage to toting whatever I can cram into her at an auction or estate sale.

You know you're attached when there's a thunderstorm at night and it's pouring cats and dogs and you wake up and say out loud 'oh poor Bertha'. She has a leak on her windshield area that I need to caulk - I can't even imagine what the headliner looks like

I really appreciate all of the input from you guys and will make a list of things that may need replacing with the engine swap. I assume this will be the route I'll take and will definitely keep you posted on what I end up doing

edit: got the thank you button to work

Attached Thumbnails What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?-bertha2.jpg  

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-25-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: photos of course!

Quick Reply: What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?