Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   What is the point of buying extend front bump stops (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/what-point-buying-extend-front-bump-stops-74861/)

Freedom38 07-31-2015 09:10 AM

What is the point of buying extend front bump stops

What do they actually do?

Disco Mike 07-31-2015 09:21 AM

You don't want to use longer stops, just limits your turning radius.

abran 07-31-2015 09:31 AM

My wife's rover has the shorter bump stops and her 275 tires rub at full wheel crank, so in this instance one might want longer stops, we just don't crank it all the way.

jafir 07-31-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Freedom38 (Post 529013)
What do they actually do?

They keep you from hitting the limit of your extended (or lowered) shocks. They could also be used to keep the tires from hitting the top of the wheel wells if that's happening.

Freedom38 08-01-2015 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 529021)
They keep you from hitting the limit of your extended (or lowered) shocks. They could also be used to keep the tires from hitting the top of the wheel wells if that's happening.

I was thinking something similar, I have this issue where after I installed my 2 inch spacer lift and I hit a pretty descent bump in the road I have this very solid and loud banging noise. Later on I figured out it was my axle hitting the frame or something like that. I was wondering if longer bump stops would fix this.

abran 08-01-2015 07:07 PM

Oops, I see know I was talking about the wrong stops. Sorry

fishEH 08-01-2015 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Freedom38 (Post 529186)
I was thinking something similar, I have this issue where after I installed my 2 inch spacer lift and I hit a pretty descent bump in the road I have this very solid and loud banging noise. Later on I figured out it was my axle hitting the frame or something like that. I was wondering if longer bump stops would fix this.

No. That makes no sense. Your 2" spacers are pushing the axle 2" farther from the stock bumpstops. You extend your bumpstops so your tires(usually larger with a lift) don't rub the wheels arches or your shocks don't bottom out.
I'd check all the bolts on your suspension to find the banging sound.

Freedom38 08-02-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 529191)
No. That makes no sense. Your 2" spacers are pushing the axle 2" farther from the stock bumpstops. You extend your bumpstops so your tires(usually larger with a lift) don't rub the wheels arches or your shocks don't bottom out.
I'd check all the bolts on your suspension to find the banging sound.

before my lift I could hit any bump and be fine, after my lift I have to slow down for any bump now, me and my dad were both bouncing on the front of the car and we coould make it do the banging noise. While we were doing that my brother was below the car seeing what it was, he said it was the axle hitting the front bump stops or something like that.

drowssap 08-03-2015 06:48 AM

are we confusing steering stops with bump stops

Charlie_V 08-03-2015 08:50 AM

Do you have two inch spacers for a body lift or two inch spacers on your springs? If a body lift I'd say something isn't tight because that would not change your suspension. If a spring lift did you get longer shocks? I'm puzzled by this.