Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the signs of a drive shaft going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the signs of a drive shaft going bad?

Got a 03 discovery and I am getting a slight buzz vibration when I let off on the gas, only when I float the engine and put no bind on shafts. The vibration feels like the outside edge of the tread grooves on a tire hitting the road. Like snow tire at a high rate of speed. no noise just light feel vibration/ buzzing in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I have 107K on it. All the services have been done over the years. I do most of my work, but this one has got me stumped. I first noticed it going down a hill and thought it was grooves in the road. I am noticing it more now because I am picking up on it. Any thoughts before I go spending money. What would the beginning of a joint failure normally start with. Thanks FH

Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if it has not been replaced or repaired already, i dont think you should wait any longer.... you should be able to hear the u joints failing even at slow speeds when you first start from stop it will squeal or squeak. vibrations at higher speeds are another sign... whether the shaft is your problem or not you need to fix it ASAP before it causes a heap of damage under your rig.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Overlanding

That sounds like a driveshaft going bad to me. The vibration is usual most noticeable under a no load situation like the one you are describing.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Crawl under the truck and count the number of grease fitting on the front drive shaft, if you only have 1, get it rebuilt or replaced ASAP. If you have 3 grease fittings, it has been done already. How often do you get your shafts greased, should be at every lube job.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
4wd Low

I took a look just one fitting on the front joint.
I called a drive shaft shop and they want $207.00 to rebuild the shaft and balance. What do you all think.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thats about right. make sure you get 3 greasable u joints and a new centering ball kit. and grease the u joints at every oil change.

you can buy a new Tom Woods for around $300. FYI

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With 3 u-joints and a centering ball they may charge a little more and that is OK.
Make sure you lube all your joints every oil change.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling

If your at all mechanically inclined you can diy.If you look up "front prop re-build by kevin liu"( I think I found it d-web) there is a complete step by step on how to rebuild it (with pics)and parts needed with part numbers.I did mine and it cost me $80 bucks and took about 2 hours.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
4wd Low

Any reason to go with one of the Tom Wood shafts over getting mine rebuilt. I do not have a lift and only light off roading to trout streams/back woods. No rock jumping..

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fishhawk
Any reason to go with one of the Tom Wood shafts over getting mine rebuilt. I do not have a lift and only light off roading to trout streams/back woods. No rock jumping..
All depends on the depth of your wallet.

Quick Reply: What are the signs of a drive shaft going bad?