Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Spark Plug To Use With Stock Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Spark Plug To Use With Stock Wire?

I'm planning for the spark plug change for the 60K service on my '03 and while I understand that 8mm Magnecor with Bosch +4 is the ticket I'm not really crazy about changing out the stock wires at this time. My truck is running good and I don't see wear on the wire insulation.

1] Has anyone had good experience with something other than stock plugs with the stock wire? From LRRF it sounds like people had problems using Bosch +2 and +4 with stock wire.

2] Has anyone used NGK BKR6EIX-11 Iridium IX (NGK#3764) with stock wires with success?

3] Is there any subtle issue I may have by keeping the stock wires for now?

Thanks.
Alan

Last edited by Disco Alan; 05-18-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Stay with what works, either one of the Champion dual platinum, or a Plus 4, why try to create something different when these work great.
As for your wires, they are getting to that point of needing to be replaced, the sooner the better. The 8 mm Magnacor wires will deliver more volt under more heat then most other wires and are far better then your old factory wires.
Do your wires and enjoy the difference right away.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stay with standard copper plugs with the stock wires. Platinums require more juice than the stock wires provide. Even though you don't see wear on the stock wires that doesn't mean they are still good. My truck seemed to run fine with the stock wires but the difference when I changed to Magnecors was huge.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Iridium plugs require less spark than a conventinal plug so they will work great with factory wires.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Mudding

Exactly why I was asking about the Iridium plugs - ideally I want a plug that would work fine with the stock wires AND Magnacors by the time I really feel like changing the wires. I have been meticulously going through the 60K service for quite a few weekends now and I'll need to take a real good break before even thinking about tackling the wire change in the parking lot. Of course I also understand the logic of not messing with the proven stock solution (Champion). But if the NGK Iridiums will work I'll probably go with them.

Now exactly what kind of problems will I see when my stock wires begin to go bad?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Spike - didn't you go with wires and boots from Kingsbourne (or something like that)? How are they working?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Spike - didn't you go with wires and boots from Kingsbourne (or something like that)? How are they working?
Yes I did, I took one for the team and tried the Kingsbourne plug wires with E3 spark plugs.
I developed what felt like pre detonation at a hot idle and my thinking was that because the ground electrode on the E3 plugs is so large that it was holding to much heat and igniting the air/fuel mixture before TDC, you could totoally feel the engine fighting with its self, the whole truck would vibrate.
Took those out and replaced with cheap cooper plugs (Auto Lite)
The pre detonation went away.
But now I have a random mis fire, again only when hot and only when idleing so I am going to do another tune up this time using Magnecor plug wires and Iridium plugs.
My random mis fire just started and I am only $150 away from my new laptop so I am going to hold off on the tune up for as long as I can.
But somebody had to be the giggy pig.

On a side note, my wifes Volvo with a turbo is running light a raped ape on the Kingsbourne plug wires and E3 spark plugs.
On the expressway at 75 MPH we consistently get mid-high 30's for MPG and mid-high 20's for MPG in the city.
Even with the baby bike trailer in the back and three bikes on the bike rack we got low-mid 30's on the expressway on Sunday.
And I am still using the same E3 spark plug that I put in my lawnmower 5 years ago now.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco Alan

Now exactly what kind of problems will I see when my stock wires begin to go bad?
First you will notice a slight rough idle, then the check engine light with a O2 sensor code, then if left long enough a random mis fire code, multiple random mis fires if bad enough.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Mudding

Spike, have you tried running the Denso Iridiums with stock wires before the Duralast?

Alan

Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard of several people fouling out anything other than stock champions on the stock wires. The block gets too hot for the stock wires. Why not just bite the bullet ond do the wires with the plugs? If not, I suggeest the stock plugs. Never heard a complaint about them.

Quick Reply: What Spark Plug To Use With Stock Wire?