Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Bit of double posting here (just put this on another thread, so sorry for repeating myself), but since you asked.
I got Continental Terrain Contact AT tires this summer. Rare find as far as I can tell. Actual 255/55r18 (stock) size. Aggressively truckish but still very quiet and excellent handling. All the reviews and consumer reports speak highly of them, and personally I'm very pleased with them.
I'd recommend if you can find a set.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dogwind
Hi

I have the OEM Goodyear Adventure 255/60/R20 tires on my Defender 110 SE

Because of the problem with modifications needed to get away from these 20 inch wheels, to have a vehicle that is truly a better off road vehicle (airing down with 18 inch wheels for one), I will not likely be keeping this vehicle long term.

I would like to do some off road in Death Valley though and I assume some of these tires listed will be much stronger against rocks than the OEM tire.

That is the point of this thread right? To get stronger more purposed tires than the OEM? I know that any tire can be destroyed by off road hazards, but 20 inch wheels aside, LR boards always slam these wheels/tires for any off road use (and many slamming the new Defender itself).

When I go to Big O or American tire sites their search engine does not offer any of the tires discussed here. Only Duratrac was listed and said "does not meet Speed Index"

What can I expect if I walk in and ask for a stronger tire that fits and does not rub? Will they refuse to try to fit the choices this thread has outlined? Make me sign a disclaimer? And uggh.. choices about spacers, the sensor swap/replace comments.

It is incredible how often you folks change tires to try things! I don't know how you do it...like me changing my socks!

I don't want any mods (future sale, don't want warranty arguments, and LR dealer won't do Johnson lifts anyway) and only can rely on a tire shop to mount a stronger tire.

Do tire shops do spacers? If there is only minor rock crawling, do spacers create a potential mechanical weak link?

I tried to google "full articulation" what is that? At full turn into the wheel well?

Thank you for any patient guidance.
I have looked through the tire list here, but too many choices, none really speaking to my off road intent.
Bought this vehicle with only a passing thought to doing off-roading, and then after months of reading very few think this is an off road vehicle!

Maybe the answer is buy a Jeep and sacrifice on road comfort for the 99 % of the time I am not off road?

Bob (A total retail type LR owner)

Hey Dogwind, You might want to move this over to the New Dender forum. This is a Discovery 2 forum.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry!

I deleted it - don't know how I did that!

Old 08-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I saw some P400s running 18” wheels.
I was under the impression that was not possible due to brake caliper clearance issues, that you had to stay 20” or 22” rims.
I am also the owner of a new P525 90 , I thought I had read the P400 P525 had the same brakes and had the same wheel requirements.
‘Is it possible that certain aftermarket 18 rims will clear the brakes on my P525 Defender 90 v8?