Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Power Steering, Already Flushed Fluid, Any More Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Power Steering, Already Flushed Fluid, Any More Advice?

Well, I was having some trouble with my disco making this low pithced whining noise, and it worsened when you turn the wheel. After reading some similar post on here I took what seemed to be the typical advice of flushing the power steering fluid and replacing it, and put in some additive. Afterwards i drove it home and it sounded fine. No noise what so ever. This morning I wake up and am driving to work and it sounds just as bad as it did in the first place. I was pissed to say the least. I don't own any tools or have a place to work on my car either so I took it to a shop and paid them 128 dollars to do this service for me. So now I am back to square one and a 130 dollars broker. So I am assuming that my pump is going bad and needs to be replaced, however I was hoping someone on here might be able to tell me if there are some other things I may be able to check out before I go drop 467 dollars to get a new pump put on. Please Help! I don't have that kind of money, and this just had to happen at Christmas time. By the way it is a 2003 LandRover Discovery 2 SE-7 with 63000 miles. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whining Power Steering, Already Flushed Fluid, Any More Advice?

Hmmm. Do you have ACE on your truck???? Cause the ACE pump is a whiner and its normal to a point, unless its excessive. Other than that, others should chime in soon.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have ACE. And the noise has only just begun in the past 4 or 5 days. It is too loud to be normal I would say. The steering doesnt feel any different than it did prior to the noise, but the sound has got me worried. I just thought it wierd that the noise went away after the flush only to come right back again the next morning.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Keep driving it, give the Lucas time to work. The good news it cleared up for a bit. After a week of driving, check the fluid again, may want to change it one more time if there is junk showing up.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling

I have the same problem with my 2001 Disco II SE7. Loudest when turning the steering wheel. After several flushings, no change. Have put off replacing the pump hoping for a different answer. Tom.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Both guys with PS issues...have the water pump checked out, when the bearings start to go they will whine/squeal.
The whine can come and go, but if it steers fine then I would say it is not the power steering pump.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555
Both guys with PS issues...have the water pump checked out, when the bearings start to go they will whine/squeal.
The whine can come and go, but if it steers fine then I would say it is not the power steering pump.
Good idea. We did just replace the water pump and radiator and hosesas a major overhaul of the cooling system.The whine existed before and after so it's not the water pump.The whine we have definitely changes tone and volume when the steering wheel is turned and is loudest at the extreme left and right turn positions. Tom.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Team Owner

Sorry, I did not know that the power steering was making more/less noise while turning/full lock.
I would replace the serp belt next if you have not done so already.
After that I would do a PS flush again and then drive it for a week or two.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Sorry, I did not know that the power steering was making more/less noise while turning/full lock.
I would replace the serp belt next if you have not done so already.
After that I would do a PS flush again and then drive it for a week or two.
Thanks. I hate to be a party pooper but we did replace all the belts with the cooling system overhaul. I'm trying to avoid the obvious but I have to guess it must be the pump. It's working fine though and that's why I'm reluctant to replace it without exhausting all other avenues. Tom.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

I too would be reluctant to replace the pump if it is still working, check everything else first, and if the pump still works then I would wait until it fails.

Quick Reply: Whining Power Steering, Already Flushed Fluid, Any More Advice?