Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Why do my headlights keep blowing?!? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/why-do-my-headlights-keep-blowing-36385/)

mbeasom 12-09-2010 10:03 AM

Why do my headlights keep blowing?!?

2003 Disco w/ 108k

Anybody have a theory as to why I blow headlights alternately about every 6 months?

First, the left one blew, and we replaced it with a good "silverstar" from autozone. Actually, I bought a pair and hung onto the other for later. About 6 months later, the right one blew, and we used the bulb. 6 months later, the left one blows again, same process ensues...
We have now been through 3 new sets of headlights, all at roughly the same 6 months apart, and yesterday...yep, you guessed it...the left one blew again!

Any thoughts? :confused:

dcarr1971 12-09-2010 10:13 AM

I had a Mazda that did the same thing. Are you driving on especially rough roads a lot? The Mazda dealer claimed that with a sport (read 'firmer') suspension, the filaments could be subject to more stress when the bulbs have been on a while. I don't know if I've ever believed this theory since the bulbs in my other cars have been fine, but it could be a contributing factor.

Also, is there any chance that moisture could be getting in to the headlight housings? I have seen a lot of bulbs blow out quicker in a damp environment...

Disconoobie 12-09-2010 10:17 AM

When replacing with Silverstars are you making sure that you do not touch them barehanded?...they are notoriously short lived bulbs, especially if not handled correctly...not unusal for them to blow within a year of install.

Have you tried different lightbulbs 1st or are you replacing each blown bulb with more Silverstars?

mbeasom 12-09-2010 10:36 AM

Re:

Originally Posted by Disconoobie (Post 213607)
When replacing with Silverstars are you making sure that you do not touch them barehanded?...they are notoriously short lived bulbs, especially if not handled correctly...not unusal for them to blow within a year of install.

Have you tried different lightbulbs 1st or are you replacing each blown bulb with more Silverstars?

We have been careful not to touch them, but I do think we have used the same kind every time. Got a different type to try? I always just buy them at Autozone, and this is the best ones they have.

Also, there is no evidence of moisture getting inside the housing or anything, and we do have a gravel driveway, but nothing I would call rough.

Open to suggestions.

agthird 12-09-2010 10:40 AM

check the ground on the light harness....a bad ground will cause the bulbs to fail prematurely.

souljad9 12-09-2010 12:15 PM

Silverstars are notorious for not lasting. I went through 2 sets, and once I realized that I need to pull off my Bottorf Bumper to pull the headlight assy to replace a bulb, I decided the extra cost of HID's was worth the longer life of the bulbs.

mbeasom 04-26-2011 08:14 AM

Thanks!

Just got back on here to ask another question and realized I never posted an update. We bought the Hella bulbs from Atlantic British instead of the Silverstars, and guess what? No problem since! And, they were actually cheaper. Who knew?

jafir 04-26-2011 08:20 AM

Yep. The silver stars produce good light, but you'll be lucky to get 6 months out them, depending on the bulb and the application.

Bundu 04-26-2011 08:25 AM

Yes those "hotter" lights burn out quicker. Learned that lesson as well, back to stock Hella lights and all is well.

antichrist 04-26-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by agthird (Post 213612)
check the ground on the light harness....a bad ground will cause the bulbs to fail prematurely.

A bad ground will cause a volt drop in the circuit and result in dimmer bulbs and longer life, not shorter life.