Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Why not use Synthetic in Disco 2? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/why-not-use-synthetic-disco-2-a-31567/)

mcgyver210 06-03-2010 11:10 PM

Why not use Synthetic in Disco 2?

Recently I had decided to switch our 2003 Disco to Synthetic oil but when my wife returned she said the LR Dealer refused to sell her synthetic oil for the Disco without much explanation accept to say it isn't good to use Synthetic in Disco 2s. Our Disco has low miles also.

Can anyone give me any info on why the dealer says not to use Synthetic? I have searched & noticed allot of you use synthetic is it too late to start using?

One more thing we did use Mobil1 one time with an independent LR repair shop. I just don't like doing oil changes my self anymore which is why I pay to have it changed.

Spencerfitch 06-03-2010 11:13 PM

Why would you bring your car to the dealer to change the oil anyways. Bring it to any competent shop.

Yes you can use synthetic.

mcgyver210 06-03-2010 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch (Post 180858)
Why would you bring your car to the dealer to change the oil anyways. Bring it to any competent shop.

Yes you can use synthetic.

Just found it easier to use the dealer since they had been doing it since new under warranty. My best friend who is a mechanic has helped or done most things on the rover not under warranty but neither one of us have time or want to do oil changes.

I just don't understand the reason for not using Synthetic oil & neither does he. Seems it may be my local dealer saying this though I guess.

DiscoArt 06-04-2010 12:02 AM

You should use nothing but synthetics is these engines. Dealers just dont want customers bitching about oil leaks after the switch. Disco engines run way too hot for mineral oil . Most Disco engines are nasty inside, full of sludge.

tornado_735 06-04-2010 05:43 AM

It wouldn't hurt to use conventional oil engineered for diesel engines. 15w40 is perfect for these engines...I mean lets face it, they're not exactly what you'd call precision technology.

Diesel engine oil (Like Rotella-T) contains high detergent levels just like synthetic. It's not going to sludge very easily, and it's going to keep the engine nice and clean.

lipadj46 06-04-2010 06:30 AM

IMO a synthetic HDEO is a good match in these engines. Something like Rotella 5w40 or Mobile 1 TDT 5w40 are the easiest to find. Conventional HDEOs like Rotella, Delvac, Delo 15w40 are great too. Rotella makes a semi synthetic 10w30 that seems ideal for our engines also.

greenwade 06-04-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by tornado_735 (Post 180875)
It wouldn't hurt to use conventional oil engineered for diesel engines. 15w40 is perfect for these engines...I mean lets face it, they're not exactly what you'd call precision technology.

Diesel engine oil (Like Rotella-T) contains high detergent levels just like synthetic. It's not going to sludge very easily, and it's going to keep the engine nice and clean.

You said it before I could. Retella holds up to the heat as well as, if not better than, anything else out there. I would also have to agree that the reason that the dealership did not want to do the synth oil is because it will make the rover leak.

mwindth 06-04-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by tornado_735 (Post 180875)

Hey tornado...I couldn't help but notice your picture of an upside down American flag...I'm just curious because according to the U.S. Flag Code, passed by Congress, it states the flag should not be flown upside down "except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Are you signaling a dire distress with your Rover? No big deal to me, just curious.

Spike555 06-04-2010 08:45 PM

In my humble opinion using full syn is a waste of money.
Use a quality diesel oil and you will be just fine.

The only reason I can see for the dealer not wanting to sell you full syn is the possibility of oil leaks or they just did not have any in stock.

hunter 06-04-2010 10:00 PM

The service manager at my dealer said (as did my local indie), of course he would run synthetic on a truck as new as my 04, regardless of how old the engine design. One of the techs, with whom I have spent a couple of hours shooting the **** and discussing all things 4x4 related, runs synthetic in his Disco 1. I've run synthetic in my 04 with no leaks, and I'm not running anything fancy, diesel oriented or otherwise.

You are fine with mineral or synthetic. Mineral is especially ok if you change it every 3,500 miles or less.

All the dealer-haters can just disregard this post (though it is ironic that when an oil pump goes, the first thing people post is that if you have a good relationship with your local LR service manager, maybe they will cut you a break)