Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you bought your DII

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I went to my first Billing Land Rover Show in Northampton, England in 2005. I didn’t know anything about Land Rovers and the guys I went with had Discos and Defenders. I mainly went to get a kitchen pass from the wife to go pubbing and clubbing and then hopefully sleep it off in the hotel during the show. The next morning I was forced to go to the show with a massive hangover. After the first day of the show watchIng all the activities and seeing all the vendors and trucks I was HOOKED!
I’m on my 3rd Land Rover Discovery and looking for my 1st Defender 110!

Last edited by JUKE179r; 06-14-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:02 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Because I wanted a Land Rover but couldn't afford a real one.
X1 ............... I assume you mean a Defender which is now silly money for less! Even an LR4 has it's problems, believe me, many moan about them also.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

I was in highschool and it just looked really cool. As soon as I pulled it off the lot on the test drive I loved the way it felt. I sold it to my parents as a safety upgrade over my '02 Kia Spectra.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Because I couldn't get a Defender

and because I like how it looks and how comfortable it drives

Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I bought my DII because it reminds me of The Short Bus that drove me to school.
I'm special!

The following users liked this post:
wjsj69 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

X2 on wanting a Defender, but got a "different kind" of Land Rover for a pittance of what they cost new. Now I have 2, and the wife wants one as well. Always had to have something different than the masses, been through many vehicles, have had my D2 longer than anything else so far, don't plan on changing any time soon.

By the way, notice how many have gotten D2's after wanting a Defender? Funny how having the "beauty queen" (or in this case, the Schwarzenegger/Stallone) in the lineup, and in the showrooms, sells more product? That's why Chevy keeps producing the Corvette, Ford the Mustang, Buick should make a Firebird/Trans Am, Jeep; the Wrangler, to get people in there.. and LR needs to get the new Defender back ASAP, AND correct; not more of the same, so they keep their image intact, and sales up. There. My .02 for this morning.

Last edited by wjsj69; 06-14-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Love

I have been in love with rovers before I knew what they were called. (Wild Kingdom) saw series rovers. Finally got a Series 1964 IIA. Local guy where I work had a 2000 Discovery II in my price range. The Disco II is my daily driver and I love it. I want a LR3/4 now. My disco as stated is, big, roomy and comfortable. I backpack so its a great car for off trail. Not the smartest move for my marriage. But my kids now have the weakness for rovers.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

After having a couple of jeeps throughout the years, was looking for a different trail rig. After driving a couple of prospect buys, I got hooked. The one I bought has a short punch list to tackle where the parts cost equal the value of the vehicle, and I can't wait to get started. It looks like that's a common thread among us owners.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The ex had just had our daughter and I needed something just to get to work and back. Went to a used car lot looking for a used Mercedes. A buddy of mine at the time had a Merc shop and was a master mech- told me to just buy it and he'd get it running, did my homework, went looking for one. At this one place I stop in, looked at the Mercs, wasn't impressed. The guy takes me to the side of the bldg, kind of the back of the lot, shows me the Disco. I laugh and say, no. For a week or two it's just popping up in my head as I continue the Merc search. Started reading up on Discos and doing my homework. Went back and got the Disco. Nursed it home and commenced getting it running right and doing the hi mile maint. Had another much newer car at the time, a Passat. The Disco was always the preferred ride though not nearly as nice looking or running as the Passat. She has a comfortable ride. Has tons of personality and is just kinda fun to drive. And my 4 y/o daughter loves it.

Last edited by jamestfl; 06-14-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdo58
My work truck was rear ended and totaled, so I was looking for a truck under 2k I could buy a ford ranger or something with class and cool looking and came across a clean d2 for $1500. Which was a smoking deal. Now I have a d2 and a p38.
Almost my story exactly, except I didn't have a work truck to start with. My wife thought a little truck would make sense to get us through our renovation, but I thought it seemed too boring to spend money on. A buddy had a Disco 1 that I always loved, so I looked into rovers as an option and realized how cheap they were. Picked my D2 up that week and 18 months later my wife just had to have a rover of her own, so we got her a P38. Ended up selling both of our other cars and committing to the rover life.

Quick Reply: Why you bought your DII