Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   windshield replacement. OUCH! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/windshield-replacement-ouch-77462/)

Robert Booth 01-26-2016 03:11 PM

windshield replacement. OUCH!

So I just got quoted 1200 bucks to replace the windscreen on my '04 D2.
Now that I've stopped laughing, i'd assumed that I was being quoted dealer prices. Nope. I got quoted for Pilkingtons glass with a unit cost of $800.

Can anyone confirm that this is a "good" price for the glass?
Safelite quote me $454 which still seemed high given that the Heated screen in my Classic only cost $250.

Thoughts?

**edit*** just saw my typos in the subject line. That's what I get for doing this on an iPhone with fat fingers!***

DiscoCam 01-26-2016 03:31 PM

I got quoted $1150 for a heated screen on my 04 last April. My deductible was $200 and insurance paid the rest. So $1200 seems like an accurate price. But try to get your insurance to pay for it. $1150 is a lot to pay for a piece of glass.

matt3502 01-26-2016 03:55 PM

Before you do anything check with your insurance company!! Had mine done last year. There was a bit of an issue with OEM but safelite sorted it out with my insurance carrier. No cost to me. Each state is different, some have glass as a mandatory replacement, no cost to you. The other thing to be careful with is when they take the plastic pillars off. There are three very cheap clips which break easily on re-installation. I had to replace one. The plenum cover also got broken, but they replaced it.

Joemamma1954 01-26-2016 04:50 PM

In Austin, had mine replaced and was 350.00 for non heated(heated would have been 600.00). Here in Texas, heated is not needed.

schwaggy 01-26-2016 06:13 PM

April 2012 had factory heated Pilkington installed. Quoted $1150 paid my $100 deductible for insurance and BAM had new glass.
Call your insurance company. They don't want folks driving around with cracked windscreens...

Shiftonthefly1 01-26-2016 07:06 PM

I just had mine replaced and this weekend an enormous boulder cracked it again. The original installer broke the wiper cowl plastic. And left a bunch of the clips out. Then didn't glue the top rubber strip on. So I need mine replaced again less than 2 months since the other got put in. I feel your pain.

Any way. Can I install the heated windshield instead? Looks like wires are there. Seems like i could just add the button on the dash and be done?

jamieb 01-26-2016 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954 (Post 551442)
In Austin, had mine replaced and was 350.00 for non heated(heated would have been 600.00). Here in Texas, heated is not needed.

Can you please send me details of what/who you went with here in Texas? Mine has 13 years of pitting and USAA may work with us if I decide to call.

Joemamma1954 01-26-2016 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jamieb (Post 551453)
Can you please send me details of what/who you went with here in Texas? Mine has 13 years of pitting and USAA may work with us if I decide to call.

Austin Auto Glass - Low Price Auto Glass

Robert Booth 01-26-2016 10:03 PM

Ah good old State Farm got rid of their provision for glass replacement. Now everything counts as a claim regardless of whether it be cracked windshield, vandalized car, accident etc.

The glass isn't cracked, but the chip (now fixed) is right in my site line so I look through it while driving. Bugs the crap out of me. I guess the first screen did pretty good to last for 140k but man, that's a chunk of change.

number9 01-27-2016 02:01 AM

Bugs the crap out of me.
Not even required? It just bugs you?

The Safelite quote is probably reasonable if they don't break all your auxiliary parts. Check rockauto price for the heated glass, it's more than double than regular.

If you want to save a few bucks just downgrade to non-heated. It's not an aircraft. Or could source your own glass and get a gypsy outfit to install.