Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it?

It all started with a blown alternator.While waiting for a new alternator, i decided to do my tune up. I have had plugs and wires sitting for a while. Well, this did not go well. just to begin the tune up I had to cut the heat in/out hose. Not a big deal. I also would up breaking the brake servo hose and the expansion tank to radiator hose...still no big deal. However when removing my second plug the new plug would not thread in right...problem #1, removed 4th plug (which snapped) also did not thread in right...problem #2. Tried to rethread, but am unsuccessful, don't want to push it and cause more damage.
My question is, I need to have these cylinders fixed, do I have the truck towed to my mechanic like this. Sure he'll pull the head and fix the thread, but now he will also have the alternator, tune up and hoses to repair. Is this worth it on a 13 year old vehicle, which prior to this week was running fine.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"I had to cut the heat in/out hose" WHY?
I would suggest you bring it somewhere; you have two stripped plug holes but have not mentioned the other 6 plugs.
Your'e heads could be tapped and heli-coiled on the car, but it that's a specific type of person to do it.
If you have anymore problems with the other plugs, i would just slapped another set of used heads on it.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it comes down to what the vehicle is worth to you in those situations. I understand the frustration I'm pretty sure we've all been there.

You don't get much out of a running 01 D2, so I'm not sure what you could get for one in that current shape regardless of how well it ran last week. If you can afford a new dependable vehicle then that would seem like a nice route. But if you're like me and a "new" vehicle is just a "new to me" vehicle, then who's to say you don't have an expensive repair for it happen sooner rather than later.

Maybe your mechanic can just fix the threads and leave the rest for you. Might have to shop around for a mechanic willing to do that.(won't find that mechanic at a pep boys)

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

those threads get fixed all the time. helicoils and such. your problem is why it is recommended to use that anti-seize stuff. if you can't get new plug is not going all the way flush, it may not be that bad. i've seen plugs stuck 1/2 way with no problems, but I would definitely put new threads in there. not that big of a deal. I have new threads on a lot of areas, in the block....a lot.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...having it towed to a buds garage this afternoon. I love working on my cars, just hate when the possibility of my mistake/inexperience can cause such a potential problem/expense. Messing with the heads are out of my comfort zone, so hopefully a fix best for an expert. I'll resume with other repairs in the future.