Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?

Long time reader, finally posting since I'm ready for a Disco II.
I'm finding it hard to find a ACE suspension equipped model and am wondering if I should hold out. I'm sure I'll regret it if I don't, but I'm sooo ready to fix the itch to get a Discovery.
I currently drive a 08 4Runner Sport with the XREAS supension and my wife and I really like how it keeps the vehicle level during cornering. Since we live in the mountains, we corner a lot, so I'm worried that a standard Discovery may sway too much for our liking. I havn't had the chance to drive a ACE equiped model yet, but from what I'm reading it seems to have a similar effect to the XREAS.
I know that the shocks could be replaced to tighten things up, but how will that affect the overall driveability?
I guess I'm answering my own question here, but any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should drive the differant vehicles to determine if what you read/hear is the same as you experiance. Personnally, I looked for a Discovery WITHOUT ACE because I wanted a vehicle as simple as possible. Everyone has their own critera. The Discovery is not a great road-car. You might consider an LR3. Drive them all.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have been driving an ACE truck for 9 years and wouldn't buy anything else, there is that much difference.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Its all based on personal preference. My buddy had a truck with ACE and i was amazed (and scared s&#tless) at some of the corners he took at speed. I got mine without it to remind me im not drving my wife's benz.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
4wd High

I can certainly appreciate keeping things simple. That's one reason I'm still considering going without ACE.
As far as the road going ability, I will probably have to let go of my thirst for cornering prowess. I plan to convert to having my fun off road rather than on road (less chance for a ticket). I've always had vehicles that do well around the twisty stuff, so it will probably be difficult at first, but I'm willing. I went from motorcycles to an S2000, then to the IS300, and then the 4Runner, so I'm slowly moving in the right direction
Not too crazy about the LR3/4 styling. There's just something about the Discovery that has always drawn me to it, especially the 03/04 MY.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by dgi 07
...i was amazed (and scared s&#tless) at some of the corners he took at speed...
Sounds like fun, makes me want the ACE even more. Not sure if my wife would agree though. She would probably like it better if I had to go slow. Saves on tires as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Winching

ACE is one of those things LR really did a nice job on. I have driven both and would not consider a non-ACE Disco. It makes a huge difference. It's a reliable system and does a great job.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for ACE..... The thing corners super flat and stable (predictable) Its been the one thing that lets me know and remind me that I'm driving a Luxury vehicle... I hear it maxxs out at a 3'' lift if your into offroading this could possibly limit your possiblilities but otherwise ACE is the $*@tt, I believe it also articulates better offroad than a vehicle with a sway bar setup, I have 24 inches of articulation in the front with ACE.... I take corners at speeds I would do with a sports car.... My wife got car sick the first time I took her on a ride because she said it felt like she was floating, she's never been in a car or truck or suv that was this smooth with the self leveling suspension in combination with smart suspension..... I'm forever sold in these types of suspension and haven't had any reliability issues in with it in the 1.5 years of ownership... 2000 disco 2....

Attached Thumbnails Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?-img_20110704_193936.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM
4wd High

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I'll have to wait for an ACE to turn up. Darn, now I have to wait to get one
In the long run it sounds like it'll be worth the wait.

Was it a rare option or do people just hang on to them?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

ACE not only gives you a level ride on the road it also gives you more articulation off road.

Quick Reply: Is it worth holding out for ACE suspension?