Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converters on 2003 disco

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converters on 2003 disco

perhaps, the dealer is/ was telling the truth but do i need to replace my catalytic converters on my 2003 disco. for the past couple of months my service engine light has been coming on and off. replaced all the o2 sensors and still the SEL light is on. was run around by dealer and finally the conclusion was i need to replace both cat converters at a cost of $3k.

i went to an auto part shop and asked to diagnose and give my codes. all is good except for need to check catalytic converters, no codes just N/A.

going to a muffler shop this week to see what they recommend.

what are my options? replacing with OEM, after market?, can cat converter be fixed? used cat converters ?

any suggestions would be great, cheers p

Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't think it was legal to sell used cats. for use on another car. I could be wrong though. D.A.P. Enterprises LLC - Everything for your Land Rover has them for I think like $595. all stainless steel I believe.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Mudding

Not sure how a universal fit would do in our truck. But most muffler shops can install one for $150.00.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't know if I would do that. These things can be real picky about parts. I mean, $600 may be a lot for new cats. but, they are a direct fit and will definately work. Sure beats the heck out of the stealership's figure!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding

That is true, direct fit is always better.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The shop I used to work at replaced about a two dozen converters on various OBD2 vehicles in the 4 years I worked there. From what we found (and from before I worked there): universal cats will usually trigger a P0420 code within a 6 months. Aftermarket cats same code within a year. Oem cats no code for 5+ years. Used OEM cats same lack of P0420 code for 5+ years. The best place for used converters is Brown Recycling Mfg., Inc.. I have never checked on a Disco cat, so I don't know their stock. Some of the recyclers on this board would be worth a try also.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 AM
4wd Low

thanks for all the replies.

my problem is my SEL light is on, and after checking the codes it reads as cat converter N/A. before making a decision to spent the money on replacing the cat converters i think i am going to try to clean the cat converters with CATACLEAN or fuel injection cleaner. my disco does not have any of the typical symptoms you read about with a bad cat converter, rotten egg smell or poor mileage. i am not due up for a major tune up until for another 28k.
and my truck is running great.

spending 3k at a local dealer i think is rather high, and i dont mind buying online what i need but i still dont believe my disco needs to replace the cat converter.

hopefully, a $30 bottle of CATACLEAN or fuel injection cleaner maybe the solution.

pjvarc, 2003 disco 99k

Old 08-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm not sure about the cat. cleaner but, if you post the codes associated with the "change engine soon" light maybe someone on here can point you in the right direction for the proper course of action to fix it. Maybe it's something to do with o2 sensors or something? Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

One thing I forgot to mention: the shop where I used to work was able to fix several P0420 cat efficiency codes by performing a BG induction service. We basically suggested that as a possible fix, rather than converter replacement, and several times, the chemicals in the cleaners actually restored the converter to working order.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
One thing I forgot to mention: the shop where I used to work was able to fix several P0420 cat efficiency codes by performing a BG induction service. We basically suggested that as a possible fix, rather than converter replacement, and several times, the chemicals in the cleaners actually restored the converter to working order.
That's a good thing to know, just incase.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: catalytic converters on 2003 disco