Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Wrenches turn tomorrow. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/wrenches-turn-tomorrow-48157/)

innzane 03-12-2012 08:35 PM

Wrenches turn tomorrow.

Gonna rip it down to the short block Tuesday, and if all looks well I am ordering the parts for the top end.
I do have a question, is the serial number on my block supposed to match the SN on the dash?
I noticed my tranny has 'BEST' written on the side in yellow crayon, so wondering if the whole thing has been replaced.

The neighbors came over and wanted to know why my rover was surrounded by candles. ;) At least the weather is on my side.

drowssap 03-13-2012 06:10 AM

sound like something a scrap yard would do, if its in yellow marker.

Savannah Buzz 03-13-2012 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many times junk yards will also paint a mark or initials in a color to indicate month of purchase, for 30 day refunds, etc. So if you have odd marks on something like power steering pump or alternator that look newer than the piece, could be the parttz vulturz have flown by (cheapest tuition, and you get to practice on someone elses truck). Here's some pages in the VIN and other numbers, the VIN is a compact story of build location, model, etc.

Disco Mike 03-13-2012 08:07 AM

Why are you tearing it down, what is wrong with it?
What are you planning on doing to it?
Yes, the is a used tranny.

tcar 03-13-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by innzane (Post 305613)
Gonna rip it down to the short block Tuesday, and if all looks well I am ordering the parts for the top end.
I do have a question, is the serial number on my block supposed to match the SN on the dash?
I noticed my tranny has 'BEST' written on the side in yellow crayon, so wondering if the whole thing has been replaced.

The neighbors came over and wanted to know why my rover was surrounded by candles. ;) At least the weather is on my side.

I'm a little ahead of you, on the way back together with mine. started off as valve cover gaskets but turned into-complete valve job,lifters,new rocker shafts,timing chain,thermostat and all the related seals and gaskets along with a CDL shifter install. cant wait to get it back together had to put off the lift kit so I could get this done:(. good luck on your project seemed to me the more I took apart the more I found wrong:eek:

Disco Mike 03-13-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tcar (Post 305723)
I'm a little ahead of you, on the way back together with mine. started off as valve cover gaskets but turned into-complete valve job,lifters,new rocker shafts,timing chain,thermostat and all the related seals and gaskets along with a CDL shifter install. cant wait to get it back together had to put off the lift kit so I could get this done:(. good luck on your project seemed to me the more I took apart the more I found wrong:eek:

Why did you not change out your cam, that has to be done, with our soft cams if you don't want the new lifters to tear them up.

innzane 03-13-2012 05:05 PM

Why am I tearing it down?
It is a Land Rover for god's sake, that is why! Nah, for real. My cooling system is pressurizing, it sounds like 50 elves in my motor tapping on things, and I got many random misfires, and an oil leak or three around the top end.
What am I planning to do?
As of right now my plan is to rip the top end off and see the condition of the block, sleeves, cam, oil pump. If all is ok and does not show abnormal wear than just a head gasket job. If block is toast, than I may just have a Discovery bon-fire. But if it is ok than I am ok. If the cam looks worn than it and lifters/rods will be done.

Thanks for the link on SN ID buzz, I will do a lil homework to make sure it still has a 4.0 in it and not a 4.6.

tcar 03-14-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 305762)
Why did you not change out your cam, that has to be done, with our soft cams if you don't want the new lifters to tear them up.

I really struggled with whether or not to change the cam. are the land rover cams really that prone to failure with new lifters? mine looks fine no sign of wear on it. here is the deal I'm a 20 plus year veteran technician with Chrysler,dodge and jeep, now service manager of C,D,J dealership. however that being said this is my first time going through a rover engine. my experience with Chrysler engines is that you can get away with new lifters\old cam but not new cam\old lifters. I am still waiting on the timing chain and lifters to get here so its not too late to replace the cam if its really needed. I'm trying to keep this repair as cheap as possible but I also want a good solid repair. I guess I already know your opinion on the cam, but do you have any more info as to why it should be replaced?:confused:

innzane 03-14-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by tcar (Post 305927)
I really struggled with whether or not to change the cam. are the land rover cams really that prone to failure with new lifters? mine looks fine no sign of wear on it.

Here is the link to the prefered guide to cam-lifter for the rover, RPi Engineering - V8 Engines
Just scroll up and down, there are some good images showing the wear and such.

I only got to the head covers, never saw the mention of the special tool needed to remove them bolts. Off to search what I need.

Savannah Buzz 03-14-2012 07:05 PM

8mm 12 point for the valve covers, slimmed down 3/8 drive or 1/4 drive. Got mine at Lowe's. Need to snug them every oil change or so, they loosen and drip oil like they were big and bad.