Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   215 Buick V8 Disco engine swap (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-internal-11/215-buick-v8-disco-engine-swap-74087/)

bobalou 06-09-2015 12:43 PM

215 Buick V8 Disco engine swap

I have a '97 Disco XD with head gasket/overheat problems and am wondering about swapping in a '62 Buick 215 v8. Seems like a good way to get rid of rover issues with simpler old school '60's technology. Any tips on this swap?

dusty1 06-09-2015 12:51 PM

and put some 300 heads on it

bobalou 06-09-2015 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dusty1 (Post 522108)
and put some 300 heads on it

300 heads?? kindly explain nolo comprende 300 heads. I'm looking for a simple stock GM 215 engine swap with reliability, economy and easy to service under a shade tree. No ECU"s, no codes, map sensors, throttle position sensors. crank sensors, cam sensors. Just old fashioned KISS-keep it simple stupid technology !

drowssap 06-09-2015 03:49 PM

In its day a 300 head was a bolt on hp head, the newer rover head probably flow just as well.
tons of stuff out there for 215s all in england they were the first to relise rovers screwup and bought up all the 215 to replace there 3.5s.
There are a lot of builds all the way to 5.0.

bobalou 06-09-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 522167)
In its day a 300 head was a bolt on hp head, the newer rover head probably flow just as well.
tons of stuff out there for 215s all in england they were the first to relise rovers screwup and bought up all the 215 to replace there 3.5s.
There are a lot of builds all the way to 5.0.

I have access to a pair of '62 Buick Specials with 215's . What is the story on swapping Buick 215 motor to 97 Disco, what works from the Buick and what doesn't from the Disco: Buick to Disco oil pan, bellhousing, flywheel, starter, motor mounts ,waterpump ,cooling fan, distributor, exhaust manifolds, accessory drives

drowssap 06-09-2015 05:26 PM

Your bellhousing will all bolt up, you will probalbly have do something with flywheel. If i rrc the crank is a smaller dia. than the later cranks, will need sometype of adaptor. I assume the 215 are autos so you will need a pilot bearing, that the rear.
The front is the question: now you would think if you swapped over your front cover you would be all set bolt your old stuff on and go.
But if i rrc the snout on the 215 is shorter and wont drive the oil pump.

So i would suggest you run the buick front cover use a GM 1-wire hei distributor, GM style 1-wire 200 amp alternator, adapt your LR power steering pump. But you will lose the serpjntine belt.
I,m sure there is more but those are the big things "I" think

bobalou 06-09-2015 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 522179)
Your bellhousing will all bolt up, you will probalbly have do something with flywheel. If i rrc the crank is a smaller dia. than the later cranks, will need sometype of adaptor. I assume the 215 are autos so you will need a pilot bearing, that the rear.
The front is the question: now you would think if you swapped over your front cover you would be all set bolt your old stuff on and go.
But if i rrc the snout on the 215 is shorter and wont drive the oil pump.

So i would suggest you run the buick front cover use a GM 1-wire hei distributor, GM style 1-wire 200 amp alternator, adapt your LR power steering pump. But you will lose the serpjntine belt.
I,m sure there is more but those are the big things "I" think

Thanks for general info now I need to find someone who has done the actual Buick 215 to Disco swap and nail down the finer nut and bolt details .

loanrangie 06-10-2015 05:32 AM

Its virtually a bolt in job but i personally would just go with an edelbrock manifold and carby on your existing motor if you want simple, some buick V6 parts also fit like timing cover.

MM3846 06-10-2015 12:19 PM

Sounds like a pain in the ass for zero gain. I assume there is no emissions testing where you live? Because it will throw CEL codes forever and ever. Have fun mapping out the trans shifting without a TPS, but I guess you can shift it manually. Or if you already have the 5 spd that isn't an issue.

drowssap 06-10-2015 12:28 PM

Or you could buy the stand alone controleer from ashcroft. or use a DI tranny. One thing you will never have to worry about is a liner, because buick cast then in place