Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Swap from Ford to Defender for 2.2L and 2.4L engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Engine Swap from Ford to Defender for 2.2L and 2.4L engines

Hi all Users,

I could really use all of your help here please!

My Land Rover defender engine just gave up. I have the latest model 2.2L efi Defender. I have heard that the Ford engines fit the Land Rover defender since they manufacture the engines for Land Rover as well. Ford has a 2.2 TDCi engine which is far cheaper than the land rover engine. Can you please advise that if the engines can be swapped? I have heard that the sump needs to replaced other than that the engines can be swapped without any additional work. Is this true or are there other parts to be changed as well. I understand that the anciliaries would be different such as injectors, pistons and so on. It is very urgent and I could use your help.

Similar to this my friend also has a older model with 2.4L engine. His engine has gone weak to and is willing to replace with a brand new engine. Like before the 2.4L engines is also manufactured by Ford. Can the ford 2.4L engine also be fitted on to my friends defender after changing the sumps? I am talking about stripped engines here meaning ancillaries are not included (i.e. pistons, rings. injectors etc) in the engine and will be purchased separately.

I hope that a technician can help with this with correct information as I cannot afford to buy the engines and it turns out they do not fit.

Regards,
Asher Malik