Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

5.0L NA crankshaft position for timing chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0L NA crankshaft position for timing chains

Hello All,
Setting up a NA 5.0L timing chain set, guides, tensioners. The camshafts have tools and indications on the rears to lock the service position, from the information I've gathered you then pin the crankshaft(Via flexplate), lock the flywheel and disassemble. My concern when you remove the crank sensor the pinning tool fits into any of the holes on the flexplate. After locking the cams in position the pin tool is between holes and can be inserted in either. Only information I've gathered is the wooddrift key on the crankshaft should be at the 6oclock position. Note this is not the top dead center position of cylinder 1. Does anyone have any additional information?? Thanks

Old 11-11-2019, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the 6 oclock position (note-some models have the crank wood driff set at 9oclock/ and those require flywheel replacement with new chains.). I marker the window in the flywheel, and counted from the missing window position. On the 10th window is were i positioned the crankshaft. I had removed a flywheel and inspected that window on the flywheel. I can be seen that the window is actually bigger at the 10th window. I was using an after market kit which was poorly designed and allowed the pinning tool to fit into any window, when i believe the proper tool will only fit into this window and no other window. Again the after market tool will fit into any window. Learn from my suffering... verify its the bigger window you are pinning.