Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Stud mount roller rockers (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-internal-11/stud-mount-roller-rockers-54991/)

racerxnet 12-11-2012 05:42 PM

Stud mount roller rockers

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the stud mount roller rockers I have installed on my 1999 Disco 2. The mounts are available if someone wants to upgrade the shaft system at a reasonable cost. The sale would be for the mount only. If someone wants a complete mount with hardware included I would be willing to do this at extra cost.

It is hard to find performance parts at reasonable prices here in the states, or elsewhere. The rockers are standard 1.6 ratio small block Ford or Chevy items. If you want a stud girdle, it will accommodate it with aftermarket valve covers.

Please provide some input for this small project.

MAK

racerxnet 12-11-2012 05:44 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More pics.

racerxnet 12-11-2012 05:46 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More pics.

There is no modification to the heads with this set-up. This is a direct bolt on swap. You need small block Buick lifters with the metered oil hole, new hollow pushrods @ 5/16ths diameter, guide plates, and some new or used rockers. There were some used Harland Sharp rockers I had laying around and decided to put them to good use. They are 1.6 ratio with 7/16ths studs. Studs are grade 8 double ended. This was set up to use the stock length of the old pushrods. Old pushrods will not work as the rockers are oiled through the hollow rods. The bar covers the feed holes on the pedestal. The oil feed holes can be plugged if you like. Wipe area on the valve stem was perfect. Took a bit of measuring and checking and then did the CAD drawings for machining. You can see some scribe lines for reference.

This is a simple upgrade that was done during a re-sleeve. Worth about 1 -5 Hp on a good day. I will check valve cover clearance tomorrow. If need be the baffle can be modified or taken out where applicable. If there is not enough clearance there are aftermarket valve covers available.

Some benefits are:

Reduced thrust on valve stem due to the roller tip
Longer guide life
Reduced friction overall
Accurate rocker arm ratio and geometry
Engineered for durability
Looks cool and you have bragging rights as a Rover owner.
Nobody has roller rockers other than you and me.

Machined mount plates for 2 heads
7/16ths studs
Lock nuts
Tapered machine screws

$350.00 per set.

MAK

wkburns 12-20-2012 10:56 PM

Do these work on the 4.6l

04duxlr 12-21-2012 07:59 AM

I was wondering if this could be done fairly easily. If the rockers and shafts need to be replaced it looks like a decent way to go, however on a Bosch motor there is no room for rocker covers any taller than stock so the stud girdle is out. Looks like you'll need to keep the rpm's below 7,000.

racerxnet 12-22-2012 05:38 AM

Yes they fit the 4.6 as well. Same cylinder head a the others. Same centerline on the valves.Top Red line on a stock motor is below 7000 RPM's. There are many other factors that determine RPM capability. Camshaft profile, valve spring pressure. rocker arm geometry, etc. I have come up with a better system yet, and will be testing after the holidays.

MAK

04duxlr 12-22-2012 10:11 AM

The 7,000 rpm limit was a joke. Running a DII engine much over 5,000 rpm is pointless with the stock intake, exhaust and injectors.

Waiting to see what you have in the works.

roadrunner81 12-22-2012 05:15 PM

I'm interested, waiting to see what comes next.

roadrunner81 12-22-2012 09:51 PM

04duxlr, what holds the pushrod guides in place? Would it be possible to use a standard rocker stud to hold down guides and eliminate nut under your plate?

04duxlr 12-23-2012 06:22 AM

It's racerxnet's sytem, not mine so I'm not sure.