Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/)
-   -   Discovery 2 LS Conversion (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/discovery-2-ls-conversion-90395/)

05TurboS2K 09-21-2019 09:05 PM

That's a lucky score, I shopped for a complete drop-out, didn't work out, the guy wanted an awful lot though it was low miles, I couldn't justify it. So I'll shop for a used ECU and pony up on the PSI harness.

Currently researching on shock/spring/bump stop combinations to make this ride correctly sprung and to keep the oil pan safe under complete compression. It would appear the D2 community has limited suspension knowledge, which is a little odd for an off-road vehicle group but given it's not pushed through the desert like race truck or wheeled like a Wrangler might be, I suppose it makes sense. I doubt the trophy truck group knows as much about overland land fun. It's one of the very few lacking areas from what I've seen thus far. I'm not expert but I've a little experience here and I'll do my best to try to help in this little niche where I might be of use.

Once I get the motor in I'll understand the spacing needed with the springs removed, then even better once I jack up one wheel and then the other to see the flex characteristics. At that point I think I can get a bump stop measurement, shock length under compression and figure out what is needed to make things correct and somewhat fool-proof. I've found what I think is appropriate bump stops. From my very rough calc, it seems 10" shocks vs the 8.xx" shocks with a 2" spacer or spring lift seems like a good choice, coupled with a 2" bump stop to keep the suspension out of the oil pan. There's a couple budget and moderate priced shock choices between Terra/EMU/Fox that fall very close to the length combos I expect we'll want.. We of course will want to run the shortest bump stop possible but at the same time not have the shock do the job of the bump stop as that destroys shocks and makes for an uncomfortable and limiting ride. Everyone will have to do their best to contribute to working combinations and consider their oil pan choices and such. I think we can nail something down that works. That'd help the whole group, especially us fellers going for the LS swap first and foremost.

Personally I think I'll run a very basic Fox cheapo IFP shock. There's little need at our Disco speeds for more in the case of what most of us do. They're valved on the stiffer side (~300psi or so vs the typical ~200psi of rancho and such) which considering the ~5000lb weight of our vehicle, would be appropriate. Generally I'd run from emulsion shocks and cheap mono-tubes but I think they're fitting for our needs here and they'll keep the ride reasonable enough for the wife who only has stock shock expectations. God forbid I spoil her with better, she'll expect it in the future in every vehicle then. :p

I noticed whoever pulled my LM4 snapped and bumped a few things.... destroying a spark plug wire and breaking off the head mounted ECT sensor, luckily the latter is had for $10 on amazon so hopefully that'll come tomorrow. I'm horribly ignorant somehow to the LS world, not sure how I ended up in so many motorsport corners and never really dealt with the LS, shocking but it happened that way. I'm reading and learning though!!! Still on the passive search for a cam option that I may add after the install to maximize low rpm power. Everyone on the LS forums assumes you know these inside and out.........I don't.

05TurboS2K 09-22-2019 06:30 PM

Answered / Deleted.

05TurboS2K 09-23-2019 05:13 PM

Second issue:

Interestingly, though every source seem to say my 2004-2005 LM4 SHOULD be a RETURNLESS fuel rail, it quite clearly seems not to be. Even PSI specs it incorrectly from what I'm seeing. I most certainly have two fuel supply lines and it's an '04. I believe I'll have to source a returnless fuel rail from somewhere which generally means no FPR on the rail, is that going to be ok? Or can I keep my rail and just cap the other line off perhaps?

whowa004 09-24-2019 10:12 AM

Has anyone done this swap running 33s or 35s? I'm looking to re-gear while I'm still running my 4.0L until it dies and don't want to do this twice...

Rackolamb1 09-24-2019 12:46 PM

My LM4 engine from a 2004 Buick Rainier has the return style fuel rail as well. One thing to look out for when searching for a return-less rail, is that if it came from an engine with flex fuel injectors, it won't bold up directly unless you modify the mounting points on the rail. The flex fuel injectors are taller, so the mounting points are different. I've read that you can just plug the return, but that leaves you with possible leak points with the fpr and return line that are no longer being used.

05TurboS2K 09-24-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1 (Post 703822)
My LM4 engine from a 2004 Buick Rainier has the return style fuel rail as well. One thing to look out for when searching for a return-less rail, is that if it came from an engine with flex fuel injectors, it won't bold up directly unless you modify the mounting points on the rail. The flex fuel injectors are taller, so the mounting points are different. I've read that you can just plug the return, but that leaves you with possible leak points with the fpr and return line that are no longer being used.

Good info!

I would think there's some PROPER connector that would plug the extra line off but I've no idea until some further searching and yes, still one more thing to leak but if it was a real connector made to plug it, I'd be ok with it.

05TurboS2K 09-24-2019 10:10 PM

MY KIT ARRIVED!!!!!!!! Going over parts now.

Mike1985 09-25-2019 03:44 PM

Bought myself one of these lil tickers

Was wondering if could get silver info regarding this install and swap. Bought one of these and it has the dreaded engine tick. Doesn't run rough or over heat. I just want something to play with. I would love too hear from you guys on your thoughts for the swaps and possibilities.

05TurboS2K 09-26-2019 09:10 AM

What info are you needing?

Bignacio 09-26-2019 12:15 PM

Hey whowa004, I am going to put Ashcroft HD axles on my D2 and run 35's. What gear ratio is best for this? Thanks!