Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
I've yet to drive it on more than one drive of 10 minutes without a lot of starting/stopping and troubleshooting so I suppose it's had hardly any time to learn. I do give the fuel pump time to prime though. I've been hoping it's a learning related thing and not the startup tables in programming which I can't do much about so easily.

Hmm my A/C lines are visibly kinked in two spots pretty badly... kind of shocked that I get cold air even.

oh yeahh... I would definitely give it more drive time before getting concerned. Fuel trims at startup and warm haven’t even been dialed in yet. If you have a scanner, just make sure you’re seeing voltage at the O2s/MAF primarily. Drive it 40-60 miles and driveability should start to improve, assuming your sensors are working/plugged in

Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

HIGHLY recommend getting an OBD2 bluetooth scanner and pairing it with an mobile device (iPad is best). Best part is you can use it on all your other cars.
I bought the
Veepeak scanner Veepeak scanner
off Amazon and paired it with OBD Fusion on my iPad. I'm able to very easily track vital information from my engine.
Extremely useful for understanding your O2 sensors and fuel trims. I'm currently struggling with getting it to output vehicle speed and Fuel to Air ratio so i'd be curious to see if anyone else has that issue.
I believe the Rover's VSS sensor should be sending a signal to the GM ECM so need to look into why i'm not able to read vehicle speed from the GM ECM.
Here are two screenshots of my two dashboards that I have up while driving. Ignore the absolute throttle position, don't think that one works.

Wish oil pressure was on here but the only way to do that is to add a new digital sensor to the oil pan and pair it with a digital gauge inside the car.

Still struggling with this side of things. Definitely learning a lot about open and closed loops, O2 sensor voltages and rich or lean mixtures. I think I might have my O2 sensors labels wrong here. Bank 1 is drivers side so bank 1 sensor 1 is pre cat, bank 1 sensor 2 is post cat, both on the drivers side.

Last edited by losinov; 08-11-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:36 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you guys cup your clutch fan down the one I got with my motor is very big I can’t put a 90 on the throttle body

Old 08-13-2020, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 beast
Did you guys cup your clutch fan down the one I got with my motor is very big I can’t put a 90 on the throttle body
I used the Land Rover 4.0 fan that was in there with the prior engine

Old 08-13-2020, 03:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are everyone's engine temps after completing the swap? I'm running around 195 to 199 while moving, but if I let my truck idle for a decent amount of time, it slowly creeps up to 218, maybe higher if I let it continue. This was with outside temps around 100 degrees. Anyone else seeing this? I believe the GM engine may run a bit warmer but a 20 degree swing seems like a lot.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Can everyone chime in on where they put the GM ECU? Pics would be a bonus! Mine is currently in the glove box area but I'd like to move it to the engine bay if possible.
Plenty of mount options out there from the stock GM mount to several aftermarket mounts.

I put mine here. If you had SAI, you'll have to break off the mounting tabs that hold the pump. It's a pretty good fit and I was able to use a stock bolt, so no drilling required.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
What are everyone's engine temps after completing the swap? I'm running around 195 to 199 while moving, but if I let my truck idle for a decent amount of time, it slowly creeps up to 218, maybe higher if I let it continue. This was with outside temps around 100 degrees. Anyone else seeing this? I believe the GM engine may run a bit warmer but a 20 degree swing seems like a lot.
Mine usually sits between 190 to 202. Might jump up to 205 or so with A/C. I replaced the thermostat and water pump when the engine was out because the old ones were filled with gunk. My ambient temps are not that hot though.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
mine runs 206 when moving on idle not moving gos to 221ish

Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Android has a similar program (Actually the one you show on Ipad copied it) called Torque that I've used for years, it picks up every common sensor on the vehicle with custom gauges you can setup etc.

I've been using it first and foremost for oil pressure as that is absolutely vital to keep track of and otherwise not shown on our stock rover setup. I haven't driven it much at all with the program running other than checking it was safe to drive.

My engine temps since the swap have been absolutely solid. 191-208*F I can drive without the fan installed if I baby the throttle with 70*F ambient temps. I've not ran it past 88*F ambient for more then a few min but it held fine.
<update> I ran it this morning which was 55 degrees out and couldn't even get it to come above 188 degrees except for a few seconds at 196 up a steep hill. Ambient conditions probably at play here. It'll push 90 or hotter this week and I'll test some more.
Looks like I'm copying that ECU mount today!!!! I received the plastic portion from amazon last night so I'll get that in today and get it mounted.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TB5QK3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TB5QK3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just drove 30 miles today without a single serious issue. Pretty stoked! I need to work on a couple slow leaks but nothing major.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-14-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 beast
I knew you were going to have this problem. Look at one of my posts just recently where I spec out the parts I used couple pages back. I found the absolute earliest 90* bend after hours of looking. It clears perfectly with the LR fan installed. I put up pics here on page 88 https://landroverforums.com/forum/en...-90395/page88/

This is what you need. >>>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMM6WS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMM6WS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-14-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion