Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/)
-   -   I swapped an LS into a Disco (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/i-swapped-ls-into-disco-118408/)

landed.gentry 08-16-2023 11:14 PM

I swapped an LS into a Disco

Hi gents:

I just finished prepping my LS for an ACE kit swap into my disco 2. It's just the first part, but I'll update more next week. (It's installed). Please have a look and let me know what you think.

04disco2va 09-13-2023 08:35 PM

Nice job on the videos. Enjoyed watching!

Overseas Living 09-15-2023 10:48 AM

Great video, very helpful as I am considering an LS swap. Can you provide info on the LS? Like, how did you choose which LS model, how did you buy it - was it online, a local yard, did you have many options, mileage, etc.? ACE has recommendations for which model of LS, but what was your experience is choosing one? I have been looking at online salvage yards that sell engines and whole vehicles for the end user to remove he engine and associated components, so much so, that the choices are overwhelming. Also, what was your thoughts on whether to rebuild the donor engine or not, and to what level of rebuild: heads only, or the whole lower end, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Overseas Living

'04 SE7 in Adriatic Blue Metallic (16 years owned)
'09 LR3 in Chawton White (sold)

landed.gentry 09-28-2023 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Overseas Living (Post 876892)
Great video, very helpful as I am considering an LS swap. Can you provide info on the LS? Like, how did you choose which LS model, how did you buy it - was it online, a local yard, did you have many options, mileage, etc.? ACE has recommendations for which model of LS, but what was your experience is choosing one? I have been looking at online salvage yards that sell engines and whole vehicles for the end user to remove he engine and associated components, so much so, that the choices are overwhelming. Also, what was your thoughts on whether to rebuild the donor engine or not, and to what level of rebuild: heads only, or the whole lower end, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Overseas Living

'04 SE7 in Adriatic Blue Metallic (16 years owned)
'09 LR3 in Chawton White (sold)

I chose my engine due to their abundance. It's the iron block LM7, which is heavier than the aluminum versions. LS engines are remarkably easy to find on facebook marketplace, but you have to weed through a lot of scams and weird people. In the end, I found my engine for $650 with a ton of miles but everything included. But I rebuilt about 90-95% of the engine, so I'm not terribly worried. Also, a lot of guys sell on instagram, but it's easier to narrow things nown on marketplace.

The ACE kit is not my favorite. I with I would have gone with the GM engine/transmission and used a transfer case adaptor.

St1ck 01-27-2024 12:38 PM

What about the ACE kit did you not like?

LSDiscoMike 04-02-2024 12:50 AM

Nice job landed! Looks great!